What's new

What do I do?

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Be careful that AS5 is conductive, don't get it on those gold pads
MX2 and MX5 are other options
Thanks Hunter. I was looking at the MX2 probably gonna go with that since its 7.99 on Newegg :D

Also when I am cleaning my Hyper 212, can I use rubbing alcohol to clean off the thermal paste?

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Thanks Hunter. I was looking at the MX2 probably gonna go with that since its 7.99 on Newegg :D

Also when I am cleaning my Hyper 212, can I use rubbing alcohol to clean off the thermal paste?
Yup! Enjoy your new toy, let us know...

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Ok good so the 212+ should be able to just sit comfortably on the chip.

Small line of thermal paste
Lay computer on it's back
Put on heat sink, and screw it on to the back plate in an X pattern. Don't over tighten it, just nice and firm and you should be good
I read this post visualizing it all done on a bear rug by the fire.
Lay on its back....screw it.....nice and firm....

kaM

The 47 Ronin
If you have a coffee filter, use that to clean it off with as well. Doesn't leave any lint behind like a paper towel.

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
If you have a coffee filter, use that to clean it off with as well. Doesn't leave any lint behind like a paper towel.
I usually use a q-tip. Have the q-tip absorb the alcohol then gently rub the thermal off. Wasn't sure if rubbing alcohol works for all paste or not XD

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
I use expensive cleanroom Lint-Free cloth from where I work...shhh!!! and it doesn't cost me a cent :)

kaM

The 47 Ronin
I use expensive cleanroom Lint-Free cloth from where I work...shhh!!! and it doesn't cost me a cent :)
Oh man I had a guy from a hard drive recovery company bring me something like that about a year ago. Those were awesome

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
q-tip leaves shit behind... use it, but then clean afterwards with the coffee filter or some other poor-man's lint-free cloth. and use 91% isopropyl alcohol if you can.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
You have to remove the socket retention mechanism.... You remove it and place back the top two screws with the backplates

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk