What's new

What do I do?

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Ok so I went back home for the weekend and found my 3770K sent by @Col. Gaspar sent in my room :D

Thanks again Gaspar!

Now my question is how the heck do I mount this baby?

I realized this was very different to my 2500k. Do I just put the new thermal over the the CPU again then mount it? or this is specifically for water cooling only?

I guess when I thought it was a bare-die I thought it was set back to its normal clock frequency from overclocking XD

@Hunter
@kaM

kaM

The 47 Ronin
What kind of cooler are you going to be using? I'm not sure if the stock cooler will be able to get low enough to put enough coverage on the dte.

A small line down the dye with thermal paste, just seat the cooler and see how much contact it puts on it. If it spreads it pretty evenly, boot it up and see how the temps go from the bios

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
What kind of cooler are you going to be using? I'm not sure if the stock cooler will be able to get low enough to put enough coverage on the dte.

A small line down the dye with thermal paste, just seat the cooler and see how much contact it puts on it. If it spreads it pretty evenly, boot it up and see how the temps go from the bios
Im using hyper212

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Im using hyper212
Ok good so the 212+ should be able to just sit comfortably on the chip.

Small line of thermal paste
Lay computer on it's back
Put on heat sink, and screw it on to the back plate in an X pattern. Don't over tighten it, just nice and firm and you should be good

Last edited:

BOT Yao

The 47 Ronin
Ok good so the 212+ should be able to just sit comfortably on the chip.

Small line of thermal paste
Lay computer on it's back
Put on heat sink, and screw it on to the back plate in an X pattern. Don't over tighten it, just nice and firm and you should be god
DAMN! I want that chip now! I wish I can be god too...[emoji20]. I promise I won't over tighten anything. I like it loose anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaM

The 47 Ronin
DAMN! I want that chip now! I wish I can be god too...[emoji20]. I promise I won't over tighten anything. I like it loose anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmao. Reading back over my post now haha... oh man

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
You can put some kind of soft shims around the CPU die.
Don't not over-tighten the HS as it will crack the die easily.

Col din't ship out the Heat Spreader? it would be easier...

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
You can put some kind of soft shims around the CPU die.
Don't not over-tighten the HS as it will crack the die easily.

Col din't ship out the Heat Spreader? it would be easier...
Not that I saw in the box :( thats why I was lost for a sec. I think I lost few of my brain cells trying to wrap what the heck I was looking at XD.

Can anyone recommend me some thermal paste? The Arctic 5 or something I heard was the way to go.

@kaM Thanks for the quick reply :D July 4th will be my clean all the computer in the house day for me :p

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Can't go wrong with the classics like Arctic Silver 5 ($6) and I've been using this Noctua stuff NT-H1 for like $9. Another good one is MX-2 by Arctic Cool I think

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Be careful that AS5 is conductive, don't get it on those gold pads
MX2 and MX5 are other options