Valve v. Other Publishers

el jorge loco

Staff member
So this isn't an actual case that will be tried in a court (not yet at least ahaha).

But as we all well know, Valve has been in a rocky relationship with EA lately that has caused EA to pull out a few titles from the Steam Catalogue (most notably and recently Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2) over digital distribution rights. And the most recent title EA has pulled out from Steam distribution is Battlefield 3. In fact, EA is pushing its own digital distribution service, Origin, to compete with Steam. The problem stemmed from who gets the right to distribute DLCs. Valve argues that, based on the terms of service in the boilerplate language of its contract with EA, that they are the ones who will be distributing DLCs through their online store. Conversely, EA argues that it should be free to provide direct support for players in terms of DLCs and other paid-for-content.

Honestly, the only group this situation between the two companies really hurts (or potentially helps from a certain perspective) is the consumer, you and I.

Personally I prefer having steam as my single source of origin for any digital copies of games I play. It's inconvenient and messy to have to manage multiple service providers at the same time just to play games. But I'd like to hear all your input. This is a complex contracts and intellectual property issue at large though. It just isn't Valve and EA, but potentially any other publisher that puts its property onto 3rd party digital content delivery services. Who do you think controls how content should be delivered? Does Valve have any say on it? Is EA just flexing its muscle?

personally i like having one source for all my DLCs. the reality is EA will have a difficult task convincing gamers to use another DLC provider other than Steam. So in the end, STEAM (aka Valve) will probably win even if EA wins the right sell their own DLC like BF3.

Fasttrak

Staff member
personally i like having one source for all my DLCs. the reality is EA will have a difficult task convincing gamers to use another DLC provider other than Steam. So in the end, STEAM (aka Valve) will probably win even if EA wins the right sell their own DLC like BF3.
Not so sure Benson. EA is one very big force in the gaming community and not sure why Valve would not accomodate EA and work more cloesly with them. I have had some serious issues with Valve and their arrogant nature since becoming this force of game managing DLC's. Valve at one time seemed to understand their position and the community they served, the last couple years I think the power has gone to their head. And I for one kind of like seeing competition in most things and I am sure this might also play out that Valve is forced to make concessions that benefit the gamers and not their own pocketbook. Time will tell...

Fasttrak

el jorge loco

Staff member
I agree with Fasttrak in one sense, that Valve shouldn't be the only competitor to do this, but Valve offers a multi-publisher service. While they still push their own games, they also push games from other publishers as well. Conversely, EA will only be pushing their own games. Unless Origin also offers other publisher titles, then maybe I will consider EA's digital delivery service. That being said, I'll still get it for BF3 and (though I hope not) Mass Effect 3

Fasttrak

Staff member
I agree with Fasttrak in one sense, that Valve shouldn't be the only competitor to do this, but Valve offers a multi-publisher service. While they still push their own games, they also push games from other publishers as well. Conversely, EA will only be pushing their own games. Unless Origin also offers other publisher titles, then maybe I will consider EA's digital delivery service. That being said, I'll still get it for BF3 and (though I hope not) Mass Effect 3

I figure EA can't fuck up any more than Valve is currently. At worse they will both be bloated front-ends to the content we already paid for, at best they force Valve to clean up their act and put out less bloat and think of the user base as much as their bottom dollar. I am seriously jonesing for BF3 at this point!

Fasttrak

in the end it will come down to game content which steam is massively ahead and the support and speed of the download which in reality EA is faster in terms of download speed. Now that EA has started this you notice valve finally saying they are making the download speed faster which has not happened yet but if that does happen steam will have the upper hand. But EA has so much money to throw around in terms of games that they can put a mass amount into the download content but we also have to face the fact that it may not be that good of an investment since most games are now being made for stupid consoles and ported over too the pc. I think in reality the console market will soon take over the digital download in the coming years since it's about the only place they still lack.

Haze

Contributor
Honestly I'm glad ea stepped away from valve, especially with bf3. As most of you said, valve needs to pull their head out of their ass.

I agree that Valve needs some pressure. But I do like steam, DL speeds suck, but it's a solid platform that isn't over the top. The overlay works well.
I just don't want another platform on my system, I'll install origin, but I'll be looking for ways around it.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
Honestly I'm glad ea stepped away from valve, especially with bf3. As most of you said, valve needs to pull their head out of their ass.
Well I don' think Valve would be able to do anything to a third party game either way.
-IcEWoLF