What's new

Valheim, who's playing?

Fasttrak

Staff member
Looked the other night on friends list and half my list was actively playing Valheim. Pretty crazy how this game has elevated the genre of survival RPG's. Toss up your thoughts.

Fasttrak

Staff member
A couple quick tips of learning the hard way, I refuse to watch other's playthroughs as I'd rather learn about the game by actually playing it. I am nearing 100 hours and just hitting the swamps.

First thing I figured out is this is a persistent game, your player is the same regardless of the world you enter. So, I needed quite a bit of copper during the bronze era and was getting tired of running further and further from my base to gather, got the idea to try out the persistent nature of a "test world". Turns out it worked out awesome. Log out your main in front of some empty chests and create a new world. Search for the Black Forest and copper deposits, toss down a workbench and a couple chests and fill chest with copper. Prior to logging out fill inventory with copper and log into your main world, dump the copper into the empty chest and you can ferry from the field to your smelting area in minutes. In like forty minutes I mined like 180 copper and was able to port it over in one move. This also works for iron which is in a biome that is pretty nasty with high death risk.

I didn't realize that the portals would be targets of the mobs and this has bitten me in the ass severely. Making a new camp next to a swamp area I took a very long boat ride, like 30% across the map, parked boat in a meadows biome right next to a massive swamp biome. Park my schooner in a cove and off-loaded my gear to build a camp and toss down a Portal to my base. It took a couple game days to gather the wood and stone and when done went back to the boat to grab the surtling cores and a few things I left behind, boat gone... Thankfully the cargo was in a box floating on the water. Kind of fucked due to the lost materials of the boat but no hard as I had the material to build the portal back to my base. Toss up a portal next to the small town I just built, give it the "swamp" tag as I had already named the portal in my base and.... nothing. WTF?? I am now stranded 100's of game miles away from my main base with no boat and no portal home. I did check out a couple videos since and realized I really had not put up any defenses and guessing the portals and my base was raided and destroyed while away. Oh for fucks sake...