UNIX Question!!~

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by Ghonzo, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

So I was gonna buy a desktop from SG but my dad was telling me to get MacBook (WTF...) since it has UNIX.

Does anyone know if i can use UNIX on a Windows so i dont have to buy a Mac? I personally hate Mac to the point that i would rather use my smartphone rather than a Mac -_-. The only reason UNIX is good is because i need to get familiar with it and know how to do some of the basics for my engineering... If i can get a UNIX running on a Window I would probably buy a $300 or less laptop and have that running UNIX and have my Desktop for UNIX/Gaming.

Anyone actually had a desktop in their dorm? Cuz this will be my first time having an desktop inside my dorm XD

2. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

Dual boot.

3. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

Bah Duel Boot on Mac XD

Dam Mac and their UNIX!!!! :mad:

4. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

Buying a cheap laptop for Unix might be a good idea.

5. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

Ghonzo ... Linux is very very similar to Unix. If you will be learning to write scripts, the 'shell' environment in Linux and Unix are the same. I don't claim to be expert on it, just from experience. Use Ubuntu Linux. You can run it w/o installing it from a USB stick or CD. I use an installed Ubuntu OS at home to run my CS:S LAN (I play with bots). Nice thing about Linux CS:S server is it auto updates itself whenever I start it up.

Download | Ubuntu

p.s. I write scripts at work using Solaris, which is variant of Unix.

6. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

Thanks for the info Tuco!! This will definitely save me the trouble of going through buying a dam mac book for $1000 :D

7. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

You welcome Gonz. There are a lot of youtube vids on Ubuntu Linux installation.
    And lots of forums on Unix scripting. I learned scripting largely from googled forums. The solution is already out there. Good luck.