What's new

Time for an upgrade.

Fasttrak

Staff member
I have had my 2006 Subaru WRX since new, January 2007. First couple years I kept my previous car in service and used the Subbie on weekends. About the last five years the car has been my daily driver and has treated me very well, only eating one radiator, a clutch at 97K, two full brake jobs and quite a few tires. Now, the turbo is starting to get blow-by from the turbo seals on the oil side. And a few months back I had a short in the charge system, effing mice, I had it towed to a dealer and for some reason asked them to do a leak-down and compression test, green light on all four cylinders, I was surprised with a 140K on those short skirted pistons.

I had been contemplating moving up to a BMW (never owned one and always wanted to try one), the new M235. Once they got released and the actual price points hit, the package I would even bother with puts it at nearly sixty grand, no thanks, I am just too cheap to toss money away in that manner.

I started considering doing a complete refresh of my Subbie and doing some basic upgrades, suspension, interior and of course upgrading the turbo and supporting systems to something that would produce closer to M235 numbers. So, yesterday I dropped the hammer and ordered up a ton of parts to move my car into the mid 300HP.

My car is in good condition, carpets immaculate but the floor mats were ratty, so ordered up a custom made set including the trunk liner which is also ratty. I need to order a headliner from Subaru as it is light colored and stained from 140K miles of California smog. I had custom leather seats, door panels done in two tone when I bought the car and the leather seats are near perfect, good leather treatment along with quality leather to begin with and a good leather shop that built and installed them to begin with.

Being that I am cheap by nature I spent a ton of time poring over one of the best Subbie sites out there-

NASIOC

With my car being nearly eight years old, there are a ton of builds out there to base my decisions on. I already had a power level I wanted to hit, M235 hp & torque, 322HP with 332 torque. I was pleased to find out that my model year WRX had a great block, same as the STI setup with forged internals except I have different shaped pistons that are slight higher compression. Cool, good to start out with a good base, and the numbers being produced with modest upgrades is fairly insane, to the tune of being able to literally destroy the entire drive train with well over 400 HP & torque. No thanks, I just want... more than the measly low 200 torque and hp of the stock 2006 WRX. I will be trying to get 325 horsepower and torque, the tuner will see how it goes and set based on how the motor deals with timing as boost is added. I get everything installed and tuned on the 18th, I can not wait...

I already have a 3" catback exhaust, just need a down pipe that is 3" with a high flow catalytic converter. I had also installed a cold air intake when I got the car so that is done. Tonight I got the pleasure of installing a dual core Matsushita hand built aluminum radiator and Samco hose set. Had to hustle as I had two hours to darkness, I looked like a Nascar pit man running around with a impact wrench in one hand and a beer in the other, ok it was a Mt Dew, sue me.

-Engine build list-
-Cobb Access Port V3 How you load a custom map to the cars computer
-Larger top mount intercooler Grimmspeed
-Larger fuel injectors Injector Dynamics 850cc
-Larger fuel pump Walboro 255 lph
-Nvidia 3" downpipe divorced waste gate bellmouth (finishes the 3" exhaust system)
-Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller (much higher resolution of how much boost is applied and any given load)
-Blouch 18GXT 8CM2 Turbo This is just slightly less than double the CFM of the stock turbo. With the fuel system upgrades, exhaust upgrades, intake upgrades with TMIC and that awesome turbo, the car could be tuned to about 410 HP and torque, sadly that would destroy my transmission and probably blow a valve or piston ring. It will get tuned for very usable power for daily driving, the benefit is I can now tune it how ever the hell I want, I could build a super miler, though it would be a shitty Prius at this point.

Shaun fbody

The 47 Ronin
2015 STi or GTFO.

I don't know much about the Subbie boxer engines, I do know they last a long time. I've seen some Subbies run 10's on street tires and 9's on slick and still streetable. with your setup, you'll be low 12s for sure

mclovin

my 50 cents...

-i don't want too pay for that for the rest of my life.
-take control.

mclovin

-safety comes first
-it blows but not as much as having healthy badass children to carry on your name.

coming from me i know thats pretty bad

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I'm going to ship you my prius and let you work some magic! I would like 150hp from the engine... That would be a 54hp boost!.... *sigh*... While I would love to have a sporty car I have to be practical....

Fasttrak

Staff member
I'm going to ship you my prius and let you work some magic! I would like 150hp from the engine... That would be a 54hp boost!.... *sigh*... While I would love to have a sporty car I have to be practical....
Completely different applications, I do distance driving in a part of CA, that does not have much traffic. I am willing to pay to cover those miles with a bit heavier car, one of the best in '06 IIAC head on tests, and a bit more horsepower to eat those miles up smoothly. The thing with a turbo car tuned the way you want, you can adjust the boost curves how ever you like. Some folks go for the hardest hitting, straight to max boost kind of power, they also replace clutches and drive line parts regularly. I am going to have certain boost targets set that allows me to putt along off boost, best for city driving gas mileage.

Fasttrak

Staff member
Well, due to the turbo I chose being on back order had to push the install date up a week. Got the car delivered Wednesday night and grabbed a rental for a couple day. Just got home from picking up the car and HOLY SHIT, totally different car.

I only did a few of the basic mods to support a bigger turbo and do it safely. I had an arbitrary goal of putting out more HP then the new BMW M235. In the end the tuner brought it up to safe levels, kept the AFR (air fuel ratio) on the safe side of being slightly rich and I only wanted 18 PSI and could of have gone to about 21 PSI for a considerable gain in HP, just not safe with a motor that already has nearly 150,000 miles on it.

The car was tuned on a four wheel drive Mustang dyno, they tend to produce the lowest numbers compared to some other brands that always seem to give out numbers that can't be supported through time trials or quarter miles. The BMW puts out 322 HP and 332 Torque, this is for power to the crank, not the rear wheels. My car stock put down 168HP and 172 Torque. After the upgrades and the slightly bigger turbo I put down 268HP and 271 Torque, that is to all four wheels which is not too shabby considering how few parts I actually ugpraded. Doing the SAE conversion for drive line loss the BMW puts down 252HP and 258 Torque, so pretty damn close and I am doing this with an all wheel drive system with a ton more drive line loss.

To say the least I am pretty damn happy and the car is absolutely insane from 2,500-7,000 redline. Getting on the 880 at about noon I was in triple digits before I realized I was over the speed limit and was just warming up fourth gear. Gonna go play some this weekend and put it through it's paces.