What's new

Thoughts on SSD vs SSHS

-L-

The 47 Ronin
Hey guys, Its tax season and I get a refund. I wanna put part of it into upgrading my macbook pro's hard drive which ive planned to do since I got it. Lately I feel like its staring to get sluggish at times and now I'm looking into either getting s 512gb ssd ($200-300) or 1 Tb SSHD $100+2gbHD (to replace dvd drive)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience to compare SSD vs SSHD, performance wise, experiences and opinions. Thanks!!!

Snowman

The 47 Ronin
IMO I think you would be better off and happier with just the SSD. Just my 2 cents. but does depend on model, bus type, etc. I myself prefer SSD's.

-L-

The 47 Ronin
From much research and calling into samsung support ive decided to go ahead with SSHD. This is due to performance issues created by Apple that affects lifetime and performance of a SSD. Tho there is one ssd approved by apple that would bypass this it's out of the price range I set for myself.

Kommando Kodiak

well if youre worried about TRIM support (its not clear from your posts) all you have to do is run the samsung magician program use the "send TRIM command" button or boot into windows 7/8 which has native TRIM support. Additionally if it wasnt a matter of TRIM but of general SSD longevity heres a good ongoing experiment since im not allowed to post links youll have to look it up, its called The SSD Endurance Experiment: Casualties on the way to a petabyte