This is why Mojang is cool...

FuZion

The 47 Ronin
wow Bethesda needs to chill out if there so crucial about the word "Scrolls"? Mojang is the shit, I love watching the documentary on how they made minecraft as well. great vid.

el jorge loco

Staff member
The problem is that when it comes to video games and trademark names, publishers like EA and Bethesda are very on-edge about protecting their intellectual property. Though you and I know know Bethesda for The Elder Scrolls (not Scrolls), the similarity of the name and possibly topic matter of Scrolls are so close that Bethesda does not want their mark to be confused with the one Mojang is publishing.

That being said, Mojang is very much right on moral (not legal) principle. I don't think a lot of folks will interpret Scrolls to mean The Elder Scrolls. it's a common word.

FuZion

The 47 Ronin
Yeah exactly, when I think of the game the exact same thing comes to mind "The Elder Scrolls" not "Scrolls?" I like mojang's response though, its not threatening and wow would that be epic huh? If Bethesda lost that battle ooooooo damn, shit would get hot haha.

el jorge loco

Staff member
For any of you who are actually interested in this whole legal issue stuff, there's an additional article regarding the lawsuit.

The Escapist : News : Notch Is Ready For a Fight

Glad Perrson is making a stand on this issue. Potentially, Bethesda could cite the Super Bowl Trademark, but I hardly thinks this stands the test of rationality as the word Scrolls is so common and used in so many manners and fashions with a combination of different words that having a trademark for The Elder Scrolls and TES does not cover it. Even companies like Apple have a very distinct trademark: "Apple, Inc." or its signatory apple in white or rainbow colored. Mojang has access to the word Scrolls under the fair use doctrine in the USA.