The Official Gundam Thread

Discussion in 'Anime/Manga Zone' started by el jorge loco, Aug 9, 2011.

1. el jorge loco

el jorge loco Staff Member Moderator

That's right, many of you know that I am a huge fan of the Gundam Franchise. And if you don't, you do now.

While I wasn't born when the original 0079 series came out, I can say that it was my first introduction to Gundam when it replayed. My first Gunpla model was the RX-78-2 in 1/144 with articulated joints. Didn't paint it, just put it together and it was love at first sight.

Gundam has been in Japan one of few anime/manga series that has transcended the covers of VHS/DVD boxes or the pages of novel series and mangas. Japan has often times tried to model many of the technologies described by Yoshiyuki Tomino and his brilliant staff. Hell they even built a 1/1 scale moving Gunpla model of the RX-78-2 to try to get the Olympic committee to pick Japan for the Summer Olympics. Gundam stands as symbol for Japan's dreams, hopes, past, and future.

However, the original 0079 story is only a part of many universes created by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

(1) Universal Century - 0079, 0083, 0080, Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counter-attack, F91, etc.
    (2) Cosmic Era - Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, etc.
    (3) Anno Domini - MSG 00
    (4) After Colony - Gundam Wing
    (5) Future Century - G Gundam
    (6) After War - Gundam X
    (7) Correct Century - Turn A Gundam
    (8) Advanced Generation [New Series TBA]

Each of these universes has been social commentary on political struggle, and share brilliant insight into how our world is today, albeit without ground-shaking mobile suits with beam cannons able to wipe out entire civilizations in a few shots.

2. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

Well summarized Hannah!

I too am a Gundam fan and otaku :D

Lets see so far i have seen:

Gundam 0083
    Gundam 0080
    Gundam Zeta/Double Z
    Char's Counter attack
    Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
    Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
    Seed/Seed Destiny
    Gundam 00/ 2nd season
    Gundam Unicorn
    Gundam Wing
    Gundam Wing Waltz
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer

And the list goes on XD

3. el jorge loco

Yeah, there's just too much to catalogue. I'll let you all look it up, but the series just makes me want to cry. Especially when a little girl gets killed by accidental stray fire as their shuttle is entering the Earth's atmosphere. Weak, so weak.

4. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

Dam just saw the new Gundam AGE trailer and thing looks bad XD
    Gundam looks like the original gundam but modified futuristic but the character is a fucking KID?!!! I mean not like Kira or Sestuna but a 10-12yr old boy? -_-

5. Jakeypoo

Jakeypoo New Member

Awesome thread! I'm also a big fan of Gundam also. I haven't seen all of the Gundam series but I have seen about 90% of it. I will watch every Gundam series/movie before I die though, you can count on that. I was into Gunpla also when I was younger (thanks for showing me that Gunpla mini series jorge).

I'm sure when the new Gundam series comes out I'll make a post about it and we can all talk about it once again, unless jorge or someone else beats me to it hah.

6. el jorge loco

Yeah. When I saw the 0 Gundam in 00, I was like, Holy Wow. But now, the Gundam AGE's new remaster of the Gundam is awesome! :)

But I still have a place for good old RX-78-2

7. Jakeypoo

Jakeypoo New Member

I like the whole GN Drive idea. It was a refreshing new way to power gundams due to the exhausted supplies of fossil fuel. Gundam 00 was really really good. I cried when Lockon Stratos died :[ He was my favorite character.

8. -L-

-L- The 47 Ronin

Made this like 3 years ago then remastered it

9. S-Dawg

S-Dawg The 47 Ronin

i like the 00 seasons

10. el jorge loco

My favorite part was when the Thrones show up to save Setsuna ahaha. GUUUUUUNDAM!!!!