What's new

Suggestions/Ideas/Mods for our CS:S Servers

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
I'll work on getting that in the next few days. For skins, what do the rest of you guys think? I don't think we ever had skins enabled on our server right? I mean I'm not opposed to the idea but I do want to know any potential pros and cons..
If the server pure_0 is set than anyone can install custom skin for themselves. If he was talking about server side thats a different story

Nutbutter

Staff member
when we had no block before... nade would stick all the time. Not sure if you have some special no block that is different that can be put in.

rust

There is a server near me in Mississippi that is packed, 44/44, nearly all day and night. I'll tell you how this server runs.

Late night/ Early mornings are on a dust2/office rotation. Later in the day, it is a constant vote map and we play random cool maps, some that I haven't ever played and some that I haven't played in a long time. Either way, the maps are voted for and we finish the current map then play the following map in its entirety. I stress this because I cannot stand it when I am in mid rush, five rounds into office and reach a loading screen because the admin wants to go back to dust2. I think letting maps play out and finish is very important and EXTENDING maps is equally as frustrating to me. Lets extend dust2 for thirty minutes, we'll keep the same shit teams and dish out 16K and all is well in the world. Half the time there isn't a vote for the extension either.

They allow custom skins which I am not per say a fan of, but a lot of people that keep returning to the server have skins and it pleases them. I think they also have bots when it gets to a certain low amount of players. I know some people are very against bots, but if having bots shows 10/32 when people search for a server, well its obviously a lot better than it saying 0/32 all damn day until 7 PM.

Final thoughts:
-noblock good
-skins may help
-bots may help
-let maps play out
-having more admins and active members WILL HELP.

Doob I appreciate the good input, I see some frustration, but believe me, the reason some of the stuff you have seen is because I'm trying to see how the server behaves, this is what I have noticed, whenever the server goes to office, we start loosing people. I had talked to Ice about putting some bots in the server and its right up there in my todo list. But first I want to put the very essential bits back to the server, most of which we lost when the update came in.

If the server pure_0 is set than anyone can install custom skin for themselves. If he was talking about server side thats a different story
The server has sv_pure set to 0, but the thing is the server only uses the bare minimum list, and I don't think that the players who have skins will have their skins visible to other players, but I'm probably wrong, I still have to broaden my understanding over this. But I'll look into skins next.

when we had no block before... nade would stick all the time. Not sure if you have some special no block that is different that can be put in.
This NoBlock I believe is different then what we had before, it also has a very specific cvar for nades, and as I understand, they should not stick, let me know if what you see on the server is different.

el jorge loco

Staff member
If you're having a problem with the quake sounds, copy the folder to the Steam > steamapps > common > Counter-Strike: Source

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
[MENTION=407]rust[/MENTION] wasnt sure if the guy was asking about enable player skin as a whole for the entire server or just his side.

rust

If you're having a problem with the quake sounds, copy the folder to the Steam > steamapps > common > Counter-Strike: Source
Actually you have to place the folder in cstrike\sound to get the quake sounds, I have added this in our sticky on server updates.

el jorge loco

Staff member
lol rust, thanks for completing my train of thought. I am in full exam mode so my brain isn't processing folders as it should be.

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
Ok, we really should remove the other maps from rotation, lol, and just keep it d2/rtv... cuz whenever the server changed to a map different than d2, it emptied out after halftime or something like that. Sure, letting inferno play out would have been fun for the last 10min, but when it dropped to 3v3 from 10v10, it got boring quick.

Most map time extensions since the UMC install have been via vote. I'll change the map without a vote when it suddenly goes from a 12v12 to a 4v4. We should add "RTV" to server title or something, cuz it seems people are either too lazy to rock the damn vote or don't even know its an option now.

Oh, we need a better ATB! stopping to move players is too time consuming. Is there a shuffle command?

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Ok, we really should remove the other maps from rotation, lol, and just keep it d2/rtv... cuz whenever the server changed to a map different than d2, it emptied out after halftime or something like that. Sure, letting inferno play out would have been fun for the last 10min, but when it dropped to 3v3 from 10v10, it got boring quick.

Most map time extensions since the UMC install have been via vote. I'll change the map without a vote when it suddenly goes from a 12v12 to a 4v4. We should add "RTV" to server title or something, cuz it seems people are either too lazy to rock the damn vote or don't even know its an option now.

Oh, we need a better ATB! stopping to move players is too time consuming. Is there a shuffle command?
No we use to have the team swap thing but that had some issues its easier to manually swap players. Just swap yourself with another player from the opposite team that doesnt have a very good score