Straight Cut Gears!!

These are sick but extremely expensive. I'm planning on getting straight cut gears for both my S13's. PPG makes them. The whining noise isn't as loud as this car (LOL), but it does sound beautiful. If you guys didn't know, a reverse gear from MOST cars are straight cut, hence the whining noise you hear when you reverse quickly. But when you have straight cut gears...ALL your gears sound like this (almost like the super charger whine). And yeah, also getting the dog box set up!!

Fasttrak

Staff member
And if you think that shitty fart-can most dipshits drive around with and at about 65mph sounds like it drones at some god-aweful tone, just imagine driving 65mph in reverse and multiply that tone by 100. Seriously, why the fuck would you put your sanity through that, for massive horsepower cars fueling nitro and 110 octane gas, absolutely pointless in most cases for road going vehicles. If you could handle an hour on the freeway without earplugs or your stereo pegged at 100%, I salute you.

Fasttrak

And if you think that shitty fart-can most dipshits drive around with and at about 65mph sounds like it drones at some god-aweful tone, just imagine driving 65mph in reverse and multiply that tone by 100. Seriously, why the fuck would you put your sanity through that, for massive horsepower cars fueling nitro and 110 octane gas, absolutely pointless in most cases for road going vehicles. If you could handle an hour on the freeway without earplugs or your stereo pegged at 100%, I salute you.

Fasttrak

LOL!! Fasttrak!! My cars are made for drifting and my red hatch has a LS1. I DO NOT fall under the criteria you mentioned. The reason I want a dog box/straight cut gears is soley for drifting/time attack. While your in a 65-70 mile per hour drift in 4th gear and come to a slow 2nd gear turn, it's pretty difficult at time (missing a shift) while trying to down shift WHILE your trying to keep the car sideways and rev matching not to spin due to the clutch grabbing. And also, there are syncros in the gear/clutch which means the clutch isn't needed to shift.....watch that BMW video again. Push up to downshift, pull back to upshift. I've driven one before, they're completely awesome!! I'll show you an example.

I also have a 1973 Dodge Charger....I'm all about the v8 power. My cars don't sound "ricey" or have fart cans for exhaust. My white S13 coupe has a inline 4 engine (KA24de), but it sounds deep as hell since I have header, 2 inch piping all the way through, cold air intake, a light cam, flywheel, and a stage 2 clutch......it's anything but rice...

Dan @ RCREW has these in his k20 EK track car. My friend took it around for a few laps @ Thunder Hill and was impressed. He loved the whine that came from the tranny when it was climbing close to redline. But yes, these are expensive, and are normally shipped from them Aussies.

Fasttrak

Staff member
LOL!! Fasttrak!! My cars are made for drifting and my red hatch has a LS1. I DO NOT fall under the criteria you mentioned. The reason I want a dog box/straight cut gears is soley for drifting/time attack. While your in a 65-70 mile per hour drift in 4th gear and come to a slow 2nd gear turn, it's pretty difficult at time (missing a shift) while trying to down shift WHILE your trying to keep the car sideways and rev matching not to spin due to the clutch grabbing. And also, there are syncros in the gear/clutch which means the clutch isn't needed to shift.....watch that BMW video again. Push up to downshift, pull back to upshift. I've driven one before, they're completely awesome!! I'll show you an example.

No doubt dog boxes have thier place and rightfully so. They can take a shit-ton of torque and not strip an entire gear set clean. I just hate seeing all these morons driving around in a 15K dollar Honda Civic, $400.00 fart can, $2,500 tires and wheels, $250.00 ram air intake, $4,500 in stereo equipment (mostly subwoofers cause going deaf is da bomb), and even saw a kid (I should say heard) with a slightly upgraded Civic Si with a straight cut gear set... and the car still couldn't beat a 14 second 1/4 mile. The only kid I have ever taunted with my bone stock WRX...

I don't get the whole drifting thing, it seems to be more of a style thing than a racing thing. I did race karts and some enduros for dirt bikes. For me racing was always about eating up time as fast as possible, probably why the enduro stint didn't last too long. I can imagine that a decently HP car puts a ton of force on the transmission and driveline while getting on and off the throttle to control the ass end of the car while drifting; makes sense to beef up the transmission and drive line.

Fasttrak