San Jose Sharks

Anyone else a Sharks' fan or hockey fan otherwise up in here? What are your thoughts on the upcoming season? Do you think we're better trading Heatley and Seto for Brent Burns and Martin Havlat?

And, maybe most importantly, who's interested in fantasy hockey?

built[4]sin

Staff member
yes, i am a dyed-in-the-wool shark fan, WBC. i hear we locked burns down for a few years, too...

imho, our problem in recent years has been defensive depth, not scoring goals. heatley was on the way down (arguably since he was traded to us... grr) and seto is way too inconsistent. don't know much about havlat, but i've read he's an above average player with speed. i can only assume he'll play on pavelski's line (2nd) opposite clowe. speed would be just what that line would need. but burns makes our team SOOOOO much better, it isn't even funny. i mean, boyle/murray as a 2nd line? (assuming burns/vlasic first) - sheesh. it's almost like having so much talent at center, that pavelski would be relegated to anchoring our 3rd line... oh, wait

lol

Fasttrak

Staff member
Been a fan and season ticket holder going back to the first years in that shitty Cow Pallace. Finally had to give up the season tickets when that wench, ex wife, cost me monthly alimony payments.

I enjoy these guys a ton but at times no team pisses me off more with the manner in which they let down their play; especially in the post season. They have had teams that could do it, at least two times now. We will see what this season brings with the numerous defensive changes and a few new offensive players. I seriously hope they have the heart to play through an entire season...

Fasttrak

Personally, I've never seen the logic behind calling the Sharks "chokers" or "disappointments" or what have you, because every year, 29/30 teams fail. The Sharks have definitely had their struggles, but I'd say making to the Western Conference Finals the past 2 years and making it to at least the 2nd for what 5 of the last 6 years?, is far from choking or failing. I mean, let's look at the "successful" Chicago Blackhawks. The only reason they won the cup is because they were willing to sacrifice their team and near future for it. They put themselves in a position that forced them to start somewhere in the ballpark of 9 new skaters the following season because they couldn't afford to keep half their team. The Sharks are run much better than that. The Sharks' ownership and fan base is willing to steadily build a competitor that is capable of winning season after season once that pinnacle is reached.

In regards to Fasttrack, IMO the Sharks have NOT had a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup in the past because they have never had a sufficient defense. I mean, look at all the teams that have won the cup in the past 6 years, and probably further, the one thing they have in common is a phenomenal defense. The only possible exception being the Penguins, but they have Crosby and Malkin, so they don't count. Sharks have always had an average defense at best. This year, they will have an elite defensive corps, with no glaring weakness (ie Niklas Wallin or Kent Huskins).

As for Brent Burns, I have not seem him play much, but from what I've seen on YouTube and on the stat sheet, I'm really excited. He's only been playing defense for 6 years -he started his rookie year- so I think he can only get better. I don't know if he's better than Dan Boyle. At least, I'd say he probably wasn't last year, but Boyle is getting older and Burns is getting better, so this year he definitely could surpass Boyle as the Sharks most offensively talented defenseman.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
Personally, I've never seen the logic behind calling the Sharks "chokers" or "disappointments" or what have you, because every year, 29/30 teams fail. The Sharks have definitely had their struggles, but I'd say making to the Western Conference Finals the past 2 years and making it to at least the 2nd for what 5 of the last 6 years?, is far from choking or failing. I mean, let's look at the "successful" Chicago Blackhawks. The only reason they won the cup is because they were willing to sacrifice their team and near future for it. They put themselves in a position that forced them to start somewhere in the ballpark of 9 new skaters the following season because they couldn't afford to keep half their team. The Sharks are run much better than that. The Sharks' ownership and fan base is willing to steadily build a competitor that is capable of winning season after season once that pinnacle is reached.

In regards to Fasttrack, IMO the Sharks have NOT had a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup in the past because they have never had a sufficient defense. I mean, look at all the teams that have won the cup in the past 6 years, and probably further, the one thing they have in common is a phenomenal defense. The only possible exception being the Penguins, but they have Crosby and Malkin, so they don't count. Sharks have always had an average defense at best. This year, they will have an elite defensive corps, with no glaring weakness (ie Niklas Wallin or Kent Huskins).

As for Brent Burns, I have not seem him play much, but from what I've seen on YouTube and on the stat sheet, I'm really excited. He's only been playing defense for 6 years -he started his rookie year- so I think he can only get better. I don't know if he's better than Dan Boyle. At least, I'd say he probably wasn't last year, but Boyle is getting older and Burns is getting better, so this year he definitely could surpass Boyle as the Sharks most offensively talented defenseman.
Their time is passing by and if they don't get it together soon they will become a rebuilding team.
-IcEWoLF