What's new

Populate the Damn Server

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
it crashed multiple times, at like 8:30 or later. is that normal? I guess.

Darn, my theory made sense.
Server end looks fine, but Sourcemod has not been very stable, but that's not their fault...valve keeps releasing updates that break addons, and we run a decent amount of them.
I'll take a look at the error logs in the morning to see if there is anything we can do...

Nutbutter

Staff member
What I do when the server is empty is....
Join.... invite my whole friends list that is online... play on the server as long as I can if I am the only admin/member.... its not a real difficult task to do. And if you have admin... well this is necessary for the betterment of the clan/community.... no one wants to play on a server that doesn't have an admin on... well at least I don't... because of that fact that if some hacker or turd comes in someone needs to be in the server to drop the ban hammer before the turd stinks up the server so much that people just leave and go to a server that has an admin that is on and able to take care of the situation.

We need like 2 guys/gals who are willing to play and bring in ppl on a regular basis during the early evening/ late afternoon time frame... hell we used to recruit and give admin privliges just based on the fact that those people played at a certain time that most of the other clan members were not on. Is anyone consistently available during the a fore mentioned time? We need ppl that are willing to commit to being available and early and late times so our server remains populated.

Good call on this situation Lin.

murkcity

The 47 Ronin
I bet half the problems are on valve's end. They still break the fucking game every time they release an update, even though they've been updating the game for 15 years.

I've had that double mouse cursor shit in the menus for probably two straight weeks, the double defuse icon hud glitch lasted almost a month (and still pops up periodically), multiple shot sound glitches (especially with pistols) for single shots fired has been an on and off thing for what seems like a year, the fps cuts from a few weeks ago were brutal for some people (and noticeable for almost everyone), market inspect was broken and unusable for two straight weeks... And that's just the shit I've thought up in the last minute since I started writing this. I'm sure you could create a 10 page report on all the stupid glitches and bugs we've seen in the live game after patches.
Most other developers eliminate this problem (for the most part) by testing things before giving them the green light. But with valve it's almost like an idea pops into the head of one of the developers, he codes it later that night from his phone while drunk at a party, and it's live the next day. They're notoriously incompetent.

I'm sure some of the random pub glitches are also at least partially valve's fault. I haven't noticed that armor glitch for a month or so, but that shit lasted for two years. The random spawn as the other team glitch has been a thing forever, and persists to this day... I almost want to create a text macro explanation, because on so many occasions I've had to detail the fact that it's a random bug to the five dudes getting murdered in their spawn as soon as the round starts.

Getting back to performance though, I've always wondered why the server reads as 102 tick and not 128? I would assume valve is blameless in this instance.

DirtyDugger

The 47 Ronin
donkey and myself were on the go server from like 1:30 to 2:15 today and just could not get it going.... we had fun tho...

A Stable Carbocation

Staff member
Because a long time ago, we moved from 128 to 102, it was said to be more stable ran better for the OS we are using, or something like that. A full 32 man server was having real issues at 128.

I don't encounter glitches so often as I see just bad performance.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I might be able to pop starting 6p server time maybe 2 days a week for two hours depending on if I work or not... Yay for 5 00:00-08:00 shifts a week! Yay for kinds to put to bed and bathe every night! Yay if I can get laid in the next year!

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
We are not running on 128tick.
At the moment we are still running the same settings, NFo does not have any E3-1270's available in San Jose...been checking every few days for the past month, and it seems the only hardware they have been adding are the E5-2690s. They just perform piss poor for Go, no effects on the CS:S because its an older game.
I am going to talk to the Sourcemod community and see if they can recommend different vars that might help, but we have been running standard settings pretty much the whole time.
The only other thing I can think of doing is trying Linux OS and run 128tick, but I highly doubt it will run better if its performing poorly at 100tick.
I can try this tomorrow if you guys are interested, if I do the above then expect couple hours of downtime.

With the above said, each update fucks up the game more and more, the spectator menu looks all fucked up with the recent updates, there is only so much we can do from our end, Valve keeps updating the game on a weekly basis and it keeps breaking multiple plugins. Also setting up map group using the default engine is retarded as fuck, why couldn't they make things simple like CS 1.6 and CS:S? It seems like Valve has been employing monkeys in their CS:GO Division the last 3 years.
As server owner I despise Valve and how much tougher they make for servers owners to keep up with their constant engine development. What they should be really focusing on is a good anti cheat mod to replace the current version of VAC.

murkcity

The 47 Ronin
We are not running on 128tick.
At the moment we are still running the same settings, NFo does not have any E3-1270's available in San Jose...been checking every few days for the past month, and it seems the only hardware they have been adding are the E5-2690s. They just perform piss poor for Go, no effects on the CS:S because its an older game.
I am going to talk to the Sourcemod community and see if they can recommend different vars that might help, but we have been running standard settings pretty much the whole time.
The only other thing I can think of doing is trying Linux OS and run 128tick, but I highly doubt it will run better if its performing poorly at 100tick.
I can try this tomorrow if you guys are interested, if I do the above then expect couple hours of downtime.

With the above said, each update fucks up the game more and more, the spectator menu looks all fucked up with the recent updates, there is only so much we can do from our end, Valve keeps updating the game on a weekly basis and it keeps breaking multiple plugins. Also setting up map group using the default engine is retarded as fuck, why couldn't they make things simple like CS 1.6 and CS:S? It seems like Valve has been employing monkeys in their CS:GO Division the last 3 years.
As server owner I despise Valve and how much tougher they make for servers owners to keep up with their constant engine development. What they should be really focusing on is a good anti cheat mod to replace the current version of VAC.
That's fair, I was just curious. My complaints are also more directed at valve and their overall incompetence than the server, or its performance. (Which apart from crazy ping fluctuations is usually pretty good as far as I'm concerned)
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why doesn't Valve offer their own administrative system for servers? Either developing their own, or buying sourcemod would provide a lot more continuity for their clients, as they could then update both the game and the admin platforms simultaneously.
Some of the glitches they allow into the live game are just mindbogglingly stupid. There's no excuse for breaking the inspect feature on the market, and not fixing it for two whole weeks. It also costs them money since they take a percent of market sales, which has been a goldmine for them. Valve funded a 250 000 dollar CSGO tournament out of pocket earlier this year, and more are likely to follow in the coming months.
And I definitely agree with the hacking problem. One of the reasons I stopped matchmaking last year was because I'd literally get blatant hacked once every two games. How fucking hard would it be to hire 2-3 guys at 15 dollars an hour to just live monitor mm reports and demos in real time? The amount of cheating traffic that would be lost even if they were only banning the blatant hackers is enormous, and would do wonders for their game. The suspected people go in one pile for further evaluation like they're doing now, and the blatant hackers get banned on the spot. Sue cheat manufacturers like blizzard did, and threaten more lawsuits if other hack producers don't shut down, and the problem would be mitigated so quickly. Obviously it's naive to think it possible to remove cheaters/cheating from the game altogether, but there are so many things that would provide both incremental, and also drastic improvements if valve wasn't incompetent. There's no excuse for allowing someone who negev sprays the entire game with an aimbot to hit global elite. (Which I see all the time watching the amount of pro streams I do)