new video card

Discussion in 'PC Build Suggestions' started by gregomyeggo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. gregomyeggo

gregomyeggo Contributor

so Im still debating on which card I wanna get, ive had my eyes set on this for a while. its only 10 inches long which is 1 inch shorter than the rest and that really helps.
    I only have 2 75 6pin plugs to go into the card so anything with 8pin plugs wont be an option. what do you guys think I should get?
    ive heard a lot about getting a 480 if my cooling is fine and i dont plan on having more than one... and if I should go with that, would I need a bigger power supply?
    psu
    Newegg.com - COOLMAX V-600 600W ATX12V Power Supply

cpu
    Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

mobo
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2 - GA-M68M-S2P (rev. 2.3)

ram
    patriot ddr2 4gb pc85000, except im only running it at 800 mhz cause my mobo doesnt allow it to go any higher.

2. Snowman

Snowman The 47 Ronin

tell us what you play.. what rez you play at..

3. Dickfor.

Dickfor. The 47 Ronin

6970... doo etttttttttt

4. gregomyeggo

gregomyeggo Contributor

they are all 6 pin/8 pin, I need something with two 6 pins... I know its lame.
    and I play 1920x1080.
    gonna be trying to get good frames on bf3. My main thing with the 480's is if my computer would be able to put out enough power for them. and I need one that has two 6 pin power plugs.

5. Hunter

Hunter The 47 Ronin

dont go cheap on the PSU, its the mosttttttt important component in the system.

6. gregomyeggo

gregomyeggo Contributor

I know but I bought it a long time ago and I didnt have the money then. Im pretty sure im just gonna end up going with the 6950 if nobody else has any suggestions.

7. Dickfor.

Dickfor. The 47 Ronin

8. S-Dawg

S-Dawg The 47 Ronin

First off a gtx 480 at full load eats 399W. So assuming ur power supply is operating at 100% efficiency(which most do not) you will have something like around 150W left at full load for therest of the machine. If you take a look at this link: Maximum PC | Nvidia's GTX 480: First Fermi Benchmarks! - Page 2 you might bet a better idea of what it compares to. According to the article it does beat the other cards they are comparing the 480 to, but not by much. I would recommend getting an OC 460 or maybe even a lower end 470 and with the money you save upgrade your power supply between 700-800W. The last thing you need with a new card is getting a blue screen because you don't have enough power. Also another thought, you might want to consider 560 gtx and a new power supply. It is still cheaper than a 480 :).
    good luck

9. gregomyeggo

gregomyeggo Contributor

is the 560 gtx better than the 6950?

10. suicide george

suicide george Member

no the 560 doesn't cut it at all

Im looking for you right now seeing if anyone has a used vid card for cheap.