New Intel CPU's 7800/7900 series

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by FuZion, May 13, 2017.

1. FuZion

FuZion The 47 Ronin

Attached Files:

2. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy The 47 Ronin

I wonder how these will ultimately compare to ryzen cpus for performance and price?

3. Hunter

Hunter The 47 Ronin

Need a key chain, hopefully i can buy one for that purpose:)

4. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

@Space Cowboy I'm interested in building a Ryzen system. Could you please tell us your experience from building it as well as performance gain (if discernible) from your last AMD build? Thanks.

5. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Staff Member Moderator

They will be slightly more expensive then the part AMD is saying competes with that specific Intel model. The trouble is it will only compete in a very narrow area and gaming will not be that area it does well against and Intel part.

6. A-Rich

A-Rich The 47 Ronin

With the Ryzen talk, I thought I'd throw this out there.
    Today's eBay daily deals, there's a Ryzen 5 1500X for $209.99+tax (new, free ship). That's not actually a good deal, but there's a 20% off coupon code that knocks it down to $167.99+tax.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMD-Ryz...r-/262941715900?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Oh, there's also a Ryzen 7 1700, but I didn't compare prices on that one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMD-RYZ...X-/262896694740?_trkparms=5926:KEYWORD|5079:0

Coupon code: P20FINDYOURTECH

7. Space Cowboy

So I upgraded from a win7, 8350 fx system, rx 480 4gb, 16gb ram, ssd... in bf1 high settings i was getting 40-60fps. mass effect 4 high settings was 20-60. big new glitchy game on end of life system. Cpu was the bottleneck.

I bought all the new stuff on easter weekend. I had been watching the review videos and whatnot. After research i found i could get similar performance on a ryzen7 1700 as on a 1800x, with easy overclock. So I picked the board, picked ram that was supposed to work with it. also got a new m.2 ssd. Made sure people had successfully overclocked.

The metal heatsink that came with the ryzen was bent. i was able to bend it back but not cool.

Everything on the mobo was clearly marked. once i mounted it into the case and attached the cpu, doing all the little usb plugs was a breeze. Back in the day that shit was a pain in the ass in my opinion. Mobo has metal on the pci express bracket, nice and sturdy. mobo is great quality imo. rbg is also cool.

I started with corsair lpx 3000mhz ddr4 ram. some people had claimed it worked at the correct speeds. there is lots of ram support trouble out there and i ran into it. it kept defaulting to 2133mhz no matter what. crashed under any other settings. so i waited and waited and finally found videos about g.skill fury x. it was expensive but made with special samsung chips in a single rank something or other. some new ram jargon i had never heard of. so i ordered it. fired right up at 3200mhz but was not stable. i dropped it to 2966 and its perfect.

m.2 ssd, is stupid fast. 3300mb read / 1800mb write. works as advertised. there is a glitch in some of the tests you can run that give half the speed. i believe crystal mark has a setting to fix it. so it works exactly as fast as it says. its smaller than a ram stick even and plugs into mobo and runs off of pci express lane i think. i have a spot for another that i will probably buy when its cheaper. $250 for 500GB. upgraded to windows 10 on that new ssd, works great. did raid 0 config on my two old ssds, now that is 500gb that runs at 1000mb read / 500mb write.

so new game performance. bf1 on high settings is a smooth 80+ fps. mass effect 4 is smooth 60-80+ fps. under heavy stress with the stock air cooler i have never gotten the cpu over 56 Celsius. fixing the ram gave me a clear +10 fps on everything. something about how ryzen cpu cores talk to each other is faster with faster ram speed. its a good and bad thing. none of these games get the cpu over 40% cpu usage either, it usually hovers around 32%.

csgo has this weird stutter. its very annoying. i am not surprised though. no other games seems to really suffer the same thing.

overall it was an easy assembly, easy set up of software. easy to use bios and easy overclocking. only real trouble was ram support but that is getting better as updates happen. id recommend ryzen to anyone after my experience so far. check out all of the different comparison videos out there to decide which one will give you the best bang for your buck. highly recommend m.2 ssd as well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  8. A-Rich

A-Rich The 47 Ronin

Awesome stuff, Space!
    I'm sure there's a million reasons for the stutter, but I saw this and thought it was worth a look:

9. Space Cowboy

That was one of the first things i did. The problem I have is like every .75 seconds there is like missing frame that looks like a stutter. The video card never did it when it was on my previous system so I don't believe that to be the issue. I think its just some weird thing with ryzen and maybe even just my system. I figure it'll get fixed by update or someone will truly solve it. One of the more obscure fixes I found was turning off the rgb on the cpu fan and mobo but that didn't really do anything.

10. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your build experience @Space Cowboy . You took the time and effort to write it. I appreciate it.