What's new

New Coilovers Finally!

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Finally gotten around and ordered myself K-Sport Kontrol coilovers for my Elantra Coupe. Got a great deal from someone on the KDM group on facebook who bought a 2nd set on accident lol :D

Will be getting it and installed hopefully by end of March.

For those that have used coilovers before what damper did you guys use and how low did bring the car down?? I'm thinking of going in the 10-15 damper range since my comes 36 dampers. Im hoping to lower the car about 1'' all around maybe 1.2'' on the rear. The stock "sport-tuned" suspension was just awfully decided to pull the trigger and buy these coils.

After this purchase my next upgrade will be slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads from R1Concept hopefully by Christmas :D

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Nice! I am happy for you.
After, you got it all done. Please help me, I want it for my Audi A4 but I don't know where to start and kinda of nervous in some way.

Thanks!

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Nice! I am happy for you.
After, you got it all done. Please help me, I want it for my Audi A4 but I don't know where to start and kinda of nervous in some way.

Thanks!
Haha @Hunter you still didn't get around to the coilovers on the Audi?? You probably should take to a mechanic who can do it for you. Im even scared to do mine but I got couple buddies in school that's going to help me.

phokyu

The 47 Ronin
Don't get slotted and drilled rotors. Stick to blank rotors. You won't be putting enough heat onto the rotors for them to work at best. Plus they will eat up your brake pads a lot faster than blank rotors. Even when I track my S2000, I don't generate enough heat on blank rotors to need slotted or drilled rotors and that's with slowing down from 130mph-40mph. Unless you're just going to get them for looks but performance wise, I wouldn't do it.

Just install the coilovers yourself. Find a DIY thread, some basic tools, jack, jack stand and common sense lol. It's a learning process but be safe about it. If anything and since it's an import. I'm sure you'll just need a 10mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm and a 21mm plus an hour to 3 hours to install the coilovers. Oh yeah, torque wrench would be nice too...

To answer your question on dampening. Get a feel for it, it depends on weight of the vehicle and how low you are. When I had my car slammed, out of 16 way dampening, I had it close to 10 up front and 13 in the rear on stock wheels and with wide wheels it was maxed out. What are the spring rates on your coilovers?

@Hunter Sorry I never got to you bud! Message me what year your car is and I'll search up for coilovers and get some prices for you. I can also recommend you to a few installers in your area as well.

In this picture was when I was "stanced" (as kids call it nowadays). I had my dampers maxed out stiff lol.

but in this picture when I was just lowered on stock wheels. It was at like 10 and 12 clicks.
10373702_10152955641730522_7439518594027839905_n.jpg

even on my old car back in 2009, the balance was 10 and 12 clicks. Really though, just get a feel for it. If you feel like one or the other is too soft or stiff. Adjust accordingly.
1915809_416885140521_5965336_n.jpg

and most of all. Congrats on your coilover purchase!! Don't be afraid to ask me any questions. I'm always up for helping someone. You have me on steam lol just message me.

Last edited:

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
@Hunter don't be a cocktease. I'll come with you if you want. ;)
LOL, I just wanted to do it with a GOOD price, I am kind of tight(hahaha)right now. Just spent >$4K to fix up the wifey's Lexus and my Audi.
I am not cheap, just don't want to spend stupid money to get lots of headaches later.