My Review of Destiny

Heres my opinion on Destiny. I dont feel like I wasted my money, its a fun game thats worth the money but I definitely feel lied to. All the advertisements are extreme exaggerations. I've had it for 5 days and I've reached the point were there is almost no real reason for me to play before the timed events every two weeks that give us one more mission each time.

All the top gear costs crucible marks (between 65 and 120 per item) earned through multiplayer, making my huge pile of money worthless, and they cap how many crucible marks you can get each week (100) and i got that yesterday (4 days). Also that gear is almost impossible to upgrade because it requires ALOT of certain items that are very rare PLUS a massive number of items you have to run around each planet to get. Im talking like 80 Spirit Blossoms which would take about 3 hours of JUST running around the maps picking them up off the ground. And thats 80 per piece of armor. So, a full set would take 72 Ascension Shards (Ive gotten just 2 so far after 5 days) plus 320 Spirit Blossom equivalents (it took me two hours of doing nothing else to collect about 70 and its literally just running to the next little glowing plant and picking it up). As a level 25 I cant even have fun killing any guys that might be near the Spirit Blossoms because I just one shot them and it will take me about 5 months to get 72 Ascension Shards. That would be fine if there was any other incentive for me to keep playing after getting the curcible mark max for the week.

Destiny should have copied Call of Duty's most brilliant aspect and thats the unlock system. Everytime you play a CoD match that little bar goes up and you dont even care that it unlocks a gun you will never use, you just love having progressed. In Destiny you get between 0-2 random drops each match and they are almost always useless at high levels. You cant trade them so your only option is to dismantle them and get about 10 bucks each (which again is worthless, I have over $18,000). So to summarize that you get, after reaching the crucible mark max, nothing for playing pvp, unless you are extremely lucky. Then there are the strikes that are big hard co-op missions which are very fun the first time but there are maybe 6 of them total, they take about an 40 minutes to an hour each, and give 3 vanguard marks (worth the same as crucible marks while crucible is about 10-20 minutes), plus 0-2 random drops that again suck. So today I did a strike I had already done more than 3 times and got the equivalent of 25 dollars in loot after an hour and many deaths as it was a high level strike. And that total came from little baddie drops. My actual reward for the strike itself was exactly nothing. I got the 0 item option out of the choices 0,1, or 2.

It seems like bungie asked themselves, how do we get people to keep playing. The answer they came up with? Force the player go through timed caps and pure horrible tediousness that would take months just to upgrade items they already have. That way the have to keep playing. We will throw in a new mission once a month or so to keep em happy.

Another HUGE failure in the game, for me, is the story. Every review for the game tells you "the story is pointless and confusing and unexplained." You are given no background, told you are the hero, the one special guardian who takes out legendary evil super weapons at level 10. They dont even acknowledge your fireteam buddies. Every cutscene is unskippable and only shows you, making you feel all special inside. And the cutscenes dont make any sense. Some goth looking alien dude who's race is not explained is telling me im dumb and then Peter Dinklage tells my I need to kill a god or something and im just thinking "Shut up and let me kill things!"

Here is a good example. At the Safe Zone City thing called the Tower there are three factions you can "join". Really that just means you buy their emblem and you slowly unlock the ability to buy things from them. You are told nothing about what these factions stand for. I went to the games official site to search and amazingly they told me, in great detail, the personality types of the faction representatives instead of the actual faction. "This robot lady is secretive" does not tell me what the Future War Cult is all about. I had to read a forum post by a random user who somehow figured it out. Why not just have the person tell who they are when I first talk to them? My characters race is even a complete mystery to me. I'm a robot guy from a race of robots I never encounter or hear about. I cant even remember the race's name.

But, like I said at the beginning I dont feel like I wasted my money. The gameplay itself is very fun and intense and playing pvp with 5 of your friends all on a team is great and so is desperately fighting big bad bosses in a group of three players is very fun. I greatly enjoy playing this game with my gaming friends. It took me alot of hours to get to high levels, longer than it takes to beat the CoD single player or even Far Cry 3's campaign so i got alot of hours out of it so far. With that said the game is by no means a FPS MMO. Its just an FPS where sometimes you see other players running around. Joining a clan gives you no unique experience outside of the clans name under yours.

If you are planning on playing alone you wont have nearly as much fun. The game is clearly designed for teams of three to do the story missions. Plus Destiny does you no favors in helping you make friends. There is NO social space. the Tower is called a social zone but it isnt, there isnt even a way to message another player without going through PSN home page to their PSN account. How hard could it be for Bungie to add in a hangout themed room at the tower where you can hear all the other players mics or chat or anything. In the few other MMOs I have played at least you could stand somewhere and type LFG (looking for group) into chat and people would add you and youd have new friends. In destiny there is none of that. I get a chat system doesnt really seem feasible without a keyboard but just anything at all. Even a gesture specifically designed to mean, "add me please" would be fantastic. I guess this is a big reason why there still is not an MMO on consoles. MMOs are inherently social games requiring teams and groups to beat. Destiny on the other hand seems designed to be anti social.

I give the game a 7/10 because it has great gameplay. Everything outside of gameplay from story to leveling seems to have been designed by stupid people. My rating for the truthfulness of the advertising? 3/10 I do not know how they expect people to continue to play this game and its sequels for the next 10 years like Bungie and Activision seem to have planned. Hopefully they are just keeping the great stuff hidden from us for later but even that unlikely option were true it would still be a very stupid choice on bungie's part.

All in all, good FPS, not at all an MMO.

Last edited:

v.Kamikaze

47R|Source Division
The 47 Ronin
It seems like bungie asked themselves, how do we get people to keep playing. The answer they came up with? Force the player go through timed caps and pure horrible tediousness that would take months just to upgrade items they already have. That way the have to keep playing. We will throw in a new mission once a month or so to keep em happy.
sigh. thx for the review.

I mean its fun. I just dont think 3 hours of not even fighting guys but literally circling the map waiting for plants to refresh is just an offense to the player. Maybe thats typical MMO but Im not a fan. If that is typical MMORPG then I guess it does have the FPS and RPG parts of FPSMMORPG. The worlds all combined are probably less then borderlands two or GTA5.

mclovin

is it bad im happy about this review? i'm only a pc gamer so yeah i don't feel like im missing out on some legendary must have experience now

el jorge loco

Staff member
I mean its fun. I just dont think 3 hours of not even fighting guys but literally circling the map waiting for plants to refresh is just an offense to the player. Maybe thats typical MMO but Im not a fan. If that is typical MMORPG then I guess it does have the FPS and RPG parts of FPSMMORPG. The worlds all combined are probably less then borderlands two or GTA5.
Is it open world sandbox like GTA5/Skyrim or is it more like Borderlands 2 with separated areas

It's more like borderland. All the planets are on separate maps.

BTWs 7/10 is a good score from me. For me 5/10 is average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fasttrak

Staff member
The sad truth in gaming these days, it's all about the flash and nothing to do with the content that keeps people buying crap. I prefer games where I feel drawn into an alien social system and the players are named and known, these days you are lucky if you have a reasonable background story to run with...

el jorge loco

Staff member
The sad truth in gaming these days, it's all about the flash and nothing to do with the content that keeps people buying crap. I prefer games where I feel drawn into an alien social system and the players are named and known, these days you are lucky if you have a reasonable background story to run with...
Join me on the nerd quest that I play each night before CS