Military Decision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuZion, Jul 29, 2011.

1. FuZion

FuZion The 47 Ronin

Bein as u guys are some of my closest friends.. I'm looking for your insight, you know me for the most part, im in the military and since I've been in, the gov.t has threatened to not pay us active duty members and pensioners, so forth...quite a few times. I've made a decision in the past to stay in, and infact ive been waiting for my application for SpecOps. But im starting to steer away and now I might get out. This whole debt ceiling, and how bad were in debt is really puttin the scare in me, I don't want to get caught up in this shit that our gov.t is stirring up. What do you guys think about this financial crisis that is going on? To keep my benefits my final decision would ultimately go reserve and go to college full time and use my GI bill, and then open my own business up eventually. Can't be hanging on the edge and rely on our gov.t to constantly let me know, "you might not get paid next week" >_>

FYI, even if the gov.t does stop paying us active duty members, we still have to work regardless, since were under contract. Which is what really pisses me off.

I signed a 6yr, enlistment ends oct 10 2012. One more year left..

2. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

I say fuck the gov they were told to compromise the debt ceiling week ago and they finally coming to conclusion... my dad is also a contractor for the military and he told me today that hes gonna get another pay cut for the 4th time in like 1yr and half affecting not only current salary but retirement as well. If you want to be safe i say start investing to asian countries and buying gold. Right now gold is rising like crazy and chinese ppl are buying them left and right

3. mbenson

mbenson Member

here's my suggestion: definitely consider getting out of the military and go to school. i mean, you earned your GI Bill, so why not take advantage of getting money to go to college. by the time you get your degree, the economy should have fully recovered. plus like you said, you can still stay in the reserves and have your benefits (which if you serve long enough you get retirement benefits right?).

4. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

Stay in and get your College degree. 20yrs will go by fast. How do I know? I wish I put my 20, one of my regrets in life. I have Army & Air Force friends who stuck it out to 20, and they are happy they did it. They are some double dippin happy bunch!

5. FuZion

FuZion The 47 Ronin

Yeah but tuc0 the were lucky to have served there 20 already, if I don't get paid for a full month, im fucked, would have to claim bankrupcy and then what, I don't think so. My dads makin 100k a year and offered me a job at his hospital so im gonna go to college and work for him I think.

6. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

OK. It's really your personal choice Fuzion. Take the steps to take care of your situation. Being a Civilian is not so bad either!!! Just ask Civil Servant <grin>. By the way, You re-enlisted 6yrs after 4yrs? You're already halfway!!! I remember when I was at Mother Rucker ( I was a wannabee pilot, phail!!! ). There were couple of guys switched from AirForce to Army to be in flight school. They were really good guys, different kind of gungho-ness from them Army guys. Oh, can you transfer to Army for Special Forces or Ranger training? I think you'll fit just fine. Just giving you ideas and alternatives.

7. FuZion

FuZion The 47 Ronin

Because of the new times tuc0, I enjoyed my time in, but I think theres something bigger for me out there, I know I can make alot more of a living outside of the military. it just seems like the easy way out sometimes from my point of view and you meet alot of people who become your boss, and they dont have a clue what 2+2 is because they were accepted on a wimb. That's why I was considering special forces, and this would be Air Force SpecOps(Combat Control/PJ), because nobody can just "Make" the cut, you gotta be so perfect at your job. maximizing my potential is what im all about. but not when they threaten my pay. in the future, thats my family there talking about taking money away from. I do not trust our gov.t with money anymore. might start stuffin my cash under the mattress soon.

8. mbenson

mbenson Member

fuzion, im waaay ahead of you bro. everything i do these days is cash. my days of using credit cards, loans, financing is over. well, at least, until the economy and the country stabilizes.

9. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

Its a tough choice.
    I'd suggest finish college and get a business major.
    I was thinking about going to join the NAVY after HS, but instead I chose college, which I don't regret it when I look at things the way they are now.
    -IcEWoLF

10. Havoc.Sp

Havoc.Sp Staff Member Moderator

If I were you I'd probably go this route. Healthcare is always in demand, and seeing how you have a foot in the door you have it made if that's what you want to do. Especially considering how fucked up the gov't is right now and the state of the economy. But on the flip side, if you did got hat route, in 2013 (I think) Obama-care goes into effect and I have no idea how that will affect your potential job there. The only constant in the good ole USA is the people getting fucked by the long dick of the gov't.