What's new

Looking to Upgrade Rig...

Buddhist

The 47 Ronin
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer haswell cpu coupled with a mobo and video card. I'm trying not to spend too much since I havent been gaming as much. Just shoot out some ideas that can keep the cost to the minimum. Thanks guys.

Current Set Up:

CPU: i7 920 (yes its old as shit)

MOBO: Uhm don't remember, but its as old as the cpu for compatibility.

GPU: Gtx 750ti

HDD: 1 tb seagate barracuda

RAM: 8 gigabytes 1600mhz

PSU: 700 wat

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Your CPU is already enough to drive almost everything.
From your set up, All you need are GtX970 - 980 and a >240GB SSD.
And maybe 16GB ram...

Buddhist

The 47 Ronin
I was thinking of spenidng 4 to 500. I was gonna upgrade to an i7 4770 or 4790 with a 80 or 100 dollar mobo. The olny problem with that would be no room to buy a graphics card.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
You don't need to go too crazy with the CPU. A i5 4690k will still blow away every game just as good as the i7.

Not sure if you would want to drive up to the Santa Ana area but there is a Microcenter in Tustin where the 4690k is $199 and 4790k is $239 which is a nice chunk of change saved and they often have really good bundle prices

Buddhist

The 47 Ronin
Yea I could actually do that. Do they have bundles for CPU and MOBOS? I could drive up today to get it.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Yea I could actually do that. Do they have bundles for CPU and MOBOS? I could drive up today to get it.
Yeah they normally have really good combo deals for cpu/mobo's - There is even a subreddit on Reddit.com dedicated to people buying these deals for others and shipping them. Their sites down so I can't see what bundles are up

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Starting from the i7 920 and clocks to clocks, you will hardly see improvement on the FPS, maybe 10%.
I would put all on the video card and the SSD.

Buddhist

The 47 Ronin
What kind of video card should I get and ssd. I'm a fan of the crucial series for ssds. I've been out of the market for a vid card so any recommendations still in a 400 to 500 budget. Maybe less if it's just a video card.