What's new

Laptop with External GPU

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
It looks like a fun project, but I think it'd take away the mobility. "It's a gaming laptop, but only at home."

Jam

My cousin has an i3 laptop and he wants to do some gaming. This could be an option for him since he's not willing to spend over $150. I also have a power supply lying around.

Snowman

The 47 Ronin
OH GOD THE VOICE .. JUST NO! Should never narrate anyting ever, hire someone who can. ehhhhhhh.. (maybe just me)

Aside..:
Video card need a FIXED mounting bracket, a way to fix the PCI-e adapter to a place on the table (thinking a clamp mechanism or velcro or suction, yada. Power ports should all be on one side (preferably the opposite side of the PCI-e cable. Just a few adjustments I would make, Nice as a DIY'r but I agree with Arich, that and sacrificing the wireless seems too much, aside external power supply. Grounding issue seems troubling and he just dismisses it, enjoy your future fried external card and possibly entire setup. (*again, IMO). Not to mention the risk of electric shock.

just my 2 cents atm. :) Cheers!

Faint

The Catalyst
The 47 Ronin
Tried it with 290x on my pavilion and resulted in frying tge card I had purchased for my desktop build was not happy :/

In other words dont do it

Jam

If I ever decide on doing this, best believe there will be a video for you guys to have a laugh at. lol.