Incident w/ California Cops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haze, Aug 28, 2011.

1. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

Well put Marine! I decided to fight my ticket once. I prayed the cops would not show up, after all there were two of them! They showed up. They went through the technicals so well. They talked about the radar, how it works, how it is calibrated, how it is properly used, Tag#, manufactured date, and on, and on. They presented this to the judge in a very very professional manner. I was speechless when it was my turn to speak. I just bent over and took it without lube <LOL>.

Anyway, Haze, it's up to you to fight it. If it's worth your time, $, and principle; you go boy!!! Remember, I'm speaking from experience. You may get lucky, and they'll drop the whole thing. But then, like a lot here said. Driving over the posted speed limit is speeding, be it over 1, 2, or 3mph. Wow, USMC... freaking 132mph on a bike. Sheesh. That would've been a messed on the freeway if you crashed.

2. Captain Cap

Captain Cap New Member

I'm not sure if they can force you to go to california court. If you're out of state, can't you write to the court and ask if you can have the location set to somewhere in AZ. Or try calling the CACourt number on the ticket to see if that's possible.

Haha maybe the AZ judge will be nicer. Say them CA cops were all corrupt and stuff.

3. el jorge loco

el jorge loco Staff Member Moderator

Cap, since the incident occurred in CA, and one of the parties (namely the State of CA) is present in CA, the judge would likely rule that the hearing be held in CA unless Haze can prove some sort of disability that absolutely prevents him from leaving AZ (i.e., bed-ridden in an AZ hospital w/o the ability to move). Even in that event, CA would still hold the hearing if you attempt to contest, but claim you can't be present to represent yourself in the proceeding.

4. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Staff Member Moderator

You have the right to ask to see the radar posting your stated over speed rating. If you just sign and drive off it is in effect an accpetance of the written speed given by the radar. Hate to say it, you are screwed and will not win in court.

EDIT FOR ADDITIONAL INFO: You will be forced to contest it in the court of the county that the ticket was given, absolutely no venue changes will be allowed, out of staters are basicaly screwed. You could contest the radar based on the date of the radars last calibration, sadly most departments now do calibrations in-house, you will lose on this one too.

Fasttrak

5. Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend Active Member

RADAR, is one of the most unreliable forms used for catching speeders. THe width of the radar band that is used basically covers everylane in both directions, the further away u are the wider the band, and the harder it is to narrow down which car is speeding.

Cops would like to think radar is accurate, but its not. The farther the car is away from the radar device, the wider the band. They could actually be clocking a car going in the other direction and blame you.

6. Ragingmidget

Ragingmidget The 47 Ronin

Ya becareful when driving near the end of the months, cops will look for anything to pull you over. They have to meet their quota for the month. Sometimes here in Modesto a pack of cops would line up together and then pull ppl over for stupid reasons. It's retarded... Since we pay then with our tax money.

7. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

Lol yesterday I spotted two motorcycle cops hiding on the sidewalk trying to catch cell phone users. Epic fail.

8. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

Well cops nowadays are trying to crack down on everything.

9. Ghonzo

Ghonzo The 47 Ronin

Well Blood sorry to disappoint you but Cali cops now are trying to bring new radars that will pinpoint one vehicle at a time usually these special trained cops are on bridges on top of the highway and once those cops "tag" you they will call the highway patrols who are like 2-5miles ahead waiting and will tell which car, model, color, etc and they will catch you and trust me that are dam accurate ill post a vid if i can show it.

Lol and about the illegal to use a phone crap is never enforced in Cali XD I always see people both highway and local using their phones i even seen some people do their make up while driving...

10. tuc0

tuc0 Well-Known Member

Ghonz, it is enforced; people are not getting caught while police not around like everything else. I dare you use your cellphone in the presence of a cop.