Incident w/ California Cops

Haze

Contributor
Alright so my buddy and I were taking turns driving to california from AZ. We both were setting the cruise control at 79/80 mph. We are going through the mountains right right inside of cali with the cruise control at 80 (speed limit is 70) when we see theres a cop a bit further up. We weren't worried because it was only 10 over. Well he pulls us over. We give him our info, and he says ok if everything checks out good and nothing comes up stolen you're good to go. Well apparently his partner decided to come back 5 mins later and said they clocked us doing 87mph. There is just no fucking way. We had cruise control set for 80 for like 10 miles, there was also a motorcycle and another car going the same speed next to us for a good two miles. Well the cop had no intention of arguing and said sign here and have a nice day. Now, I honestly think he just bullshitted the whole thing, but he did put down the radar number and everything. There is just no way we were doing 87 (you can tell the difference between 87 and 80 EASILY especially going through a mountain). What would you do? Would you try to fight it? If we fight it we will have to go to California again, and with work and school it will be hard. Although it seems pointless when it will be our word against his. I honestly would man up if we were doing 87, but this is just straight bullshit. What do you guys think we should do? Also the cruise control is accurate, it's a 2008 altima and i've used the cruise control plenty of times before with no problems.

BTW this is another reason why I just can't stand cops anymore, I really just can't...

tuc0

I think you can't win, unless, you really work hard on it putting your time and resources in fighting it. You can just take it, learn a lesson, and life moves on. When I got my ticket, I paid, and did the traffic school thing. From there on, I drive at speed limit or 5 over at cruise control. I save fuel and no stress.

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
be careful when ur in CA, they ran out of money so they will try pick ur pocket whenever they can.

I got 2x tickets for 5 miles over, yes it's 100% true

el jorge loco

Staff member
Well, you can't legally contest it because you were over the speed limit. They would just show up in their court and say: "They were driving over 10mph."

You have to admit your broke the law by driving 10mph above the speed limit to prove the whole 87mph argument. That being said, you got caught in a speed trap there. Since the stop is valid, you have no procedural grounds here either.

Dickfor.

The 47 Ronin
DID HE SHOW YOU THE CLOCK SPEED FROM THE RADAR GUN? If it wasnt still locked on the radar then they cant prove it.
end of discussion

Haze

Contributor
I think you can't win, unless, you really work hard on it putting your time and resources in fighting it. You can just take it, learn a lesson, and life moves on. When I got my ticket, I paid, and did the traffic school thing. From there on, I drive at speed limit or 5 over at cruise control. I save fuel and no stress.
What lesson do I have to learn here? Theres a difference between 10mph and 17mph. One is criminal one is not.

Haze

Contributor
DID HE SHOW YOU THE CLOCK SPEED FROM THE RADAR GUN? If it wasnt still locked on the radar then they cant prove it.
end of discussion
We fucked up and didn't ask to see it. But it has the radar number so I assume it's in the computer now? Or is that not how it works?

-L-

The 47 Ronin
Cruise control at 80mph....
1st you need to find out if the officer used a radar or a laser, reason being is: Radar, it has a span of 3 lanes, so if there was a car in the other lane going faster than you then sorry the officer picked on you. Laser, then my friend i am sorry but laser detector is a lot harder to fight since its locked on a single car. Most def find out the information asap that way you can fight it through a letter or in court. I've done this many times with just bored Socal Officers. I have won every time and never had a problem with it, although my other friend got caught with a laser and did not win. So good luck! -Andy A. (Friend of Jeff aka L)

-L-

The 47 Ronin
Also haze the fact you never saw the radar works in your favor. You never saw proof that you were in fact going 87.

-L

Spray

The 47 Ronin
Contest it saying you had cruise control on at 70mph for 10 miles. That is a stronger argument. If you weren't going 87, they have to prove you went 87. They can't go back and say you went 80 cuz they wrote you down for 87.

-Spray