What's new

Having some trouble

Havoc.Sp

Staff member

This has been happening recently and more frequently the past couple days. not sure if my display port cable is going out or if my AM cooler is bending the video card, or if its a drivers issue. The third seems unlikely because my secondary monitor is unaffected.

I have a 7970 with an accelero cooler hooked upto a 27" dell ips monitor via DP.

Laski

The 47 Ronin
Weird, I'm unexperienced with stuff like this since this is my first system with a video card, good luck finding your solution..

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
  • factory reset monitor
  • try another cable
  • try another port on the vidcard
  • update the drivers (unlikely culprit, i agree, but try it anyways)
  • stress test the vidcard and monitor temps (furmark or similar)
  • if it is the weight of the cooler on the card, lay your case on its side for a while and see how it goes

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
Happened to my sister recently. She just did the factory reset and it worked fine. Happened to me a long time ago, with my Dell 2001FP -- just used a different cable and it worked fine (first I tried VGA, and that worked, so that was my backup if another DVI didn't work; VGA didn't look as good on those old monitors, though, so thats why I tried another DVI cable).

Havoc.Sp

Staff member
Someone suggested to me to check the refresh rate on both monitors. dell was at 60hz while the secondary was at 75hz. I switched it to 60 to match the dell and everything was working good for a few days until last night when it happened again. I was able to switch the 2nd monitor to be the main desktop and that garbled cluster fuck of colors simply moved over to that screen. To me this means that it pretty much has to be the graphics card. I'm leaning towards hardware but I'm gonna re install the drivers to be sure.

this was a new one, lol. seizure warning

Surrender

The Ronin Enforcer
The 47 Ronin
ooo 10 seconds in the life of havoc! haha. anyway. that sucks. hope some of the computer smarties we have in the community can help ya out