What's new

Google Pixel

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
I want a new phone for a better camera, but i'm way too lazy to switch. hell, even when this XP machine took a dump, i did a simple repair instead of upgrading to win7, just to avoid all the setup of a new install!!! lol

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
I want a new phone for a better camera, but i'm way too lazy to switch. hell, even when this XP machine took a dump, i did a simple repair instead of upgrading to win7, just to avoid all the setup of a new install!!! lol
Well now I wanna know what phone you're rockin'.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Wow, how silly is this? I was kinda bummed thinking the Pixel doesn't have a notification light only to find out weeks later it does.
It's probably the first phone that had it disabled by default and also physically hidden in the speaker. I usually know my toys, so that kind of surprised me. I'm getting old.

mbenson

Jorge,

What's the software problem your having with your Nexus 5? I'm still sporting my Nexus until I can get my hands on a Pixel.

JP

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
How comparable is the Pixel to the S7 Edge and Note5? Both my wife and mom are thinking to upgrade their phone in the summer.

I just switched from my S4 to S7 Edge back in September and boy its was a night and day difference.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
There's probably too many variables to pin down the source of Pixel's current buttery smoothness. :p Newer cpu, more ram, newer OS, etc.
I say "current" because all of my now-slow phones used to be fast/smooth when they were new.
Someone else will have to chime in with S7 Edge or Note 5 experience as my comparison to a Note 4 isn't as fair.

I give credit to Samsung for adding extra goodies like heart rate monitor or IR blaster. The Pixel is kind of plain in comparison, but at the end of some days, you just wish you had a phone that would do the basics and do them well, and I think the Pixel is doing that so far.
I didn't want to give up the stylus of a Note, but the actual amount of times I've really used it are so rare.
I didn't want to give up a removable battery and so far, I'm usually charging at night with 30-50% left.
I didn't want to give up an SD card slot and so far, I'm 2/3 free of internal storage (128GB). Pixels are supposed to have unlimited backup of full-size images in Google Photos, so that's a nice bonus as well.

Size-wise, this site is really cool for comparing phone sizes side-by-side:
Pixel vs Note5 vs S7Edge
Hopefully that link works and loads those 3 phones. Then there's the Pixel XL. It'd be more comparable to the Note 5. I think the only thing I would prefer from the XL is the higher resolution and typically you wouldn't even notice, but if you use the Daydream VR glasses, you can really see the pixels in the lower-res Pixel. Then again, that might get used as much as my old stylus (close to never). Hard to say yet.

Between features & size though, a lot of it comes down to the preference of the user. My wife does all kinds of photo editing and social media stuff on her phone, so the bigger size would've been more beneficial to her. I also desperately wanted her to have USB Type-C because watching her constantly plug a micro USB in the wrong way made me cringe on a daily basis. haha

el jorge loco

Staff member
Jorge,

What's the software problem your having with your Nexus 5? I'm still sporting my Nexus until I can get my hands on a Pixel.

JP
It has no OS.

my Nexus 5 had the boot loop bug where it would reboot itself randomly for no reason even on a full charge. I was doing an update to the previous Android OS (Marshmallow) when it kicked into boot mode. And kept doing it. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of clearing the install cache (which normally would fix the boot loop bug) because next thing you know, I no longer had a functioning OS.

My 5x turned into a single-use taser.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
About a month in, I still love the Pixel. Thought you all needed to know that. :)

It has no OS.

my Nexus 5 had the boot loop bug where it would reboot itself randomly for no reason even on a full charge. I was doing an update to the previous Android OS (Marshmallow) when it kicked into boot mode. And kept doing it. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of clearing the install cache (which normally would fix the boot loop bug) because next thing you know, I no longer had a functioning OS.

My 5x turned into a single-use taser.
I feel challenged to unbrick that paperweight of yours. Is it just collecting dust in a drawer now?
Sad thing is, if it were unearthed from it's current location and fixed, it'd probably go right back in the drawer (would for me anyway).
Or maybe it can at least be listed as Used for $10 instead of For Parts for $5. :p