What's new

GeForce 970 gtx ftw+ or stock 980 ?

kaM

The 47 Ronin
A 970 is more than powerful enough to run a single 1440p screen. The EVGA FTW is a great card, I think the one you posted comes with a backplate which is a nice little bonus. Fast core clock speed, cant go wrong with that one.

Here are a few of the 970's to choose from

Gigabyte G1 Gaming, said to be the best 970. Solid core clock and lots of room to OC if you want
GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

MSI Gaming 100ME. This is my favorite in terms of looks. Great solid car that stays cool
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card - Newegg.com

Asus Strix. A lot of people like this since it's quiet, running at 0db fanless for a while
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Snowman

The 47 Ronin
with the memory / performance issues, I have to suggest to steer clear of the 970's. I had hoped for one in the future as well, but it looks like a big issue in some current and possibly future games.. so I suggest a stock 980 imo. I know its pricey, and a premium for the "980" aspect, but honestly you won't regret it.
just my 2 cents

kaM

The 47 Ronin
with the memory / performance issues, I have to suggest to steer clear of the 970's. I had hoped for one in the future as well, but it looks like a big issue in some current and possibly future games.. so I suggest a stock 980 imo. I know its pricey, and a premium for the "980" aspect, but honestly you won't regret it.
just my 2 cents
We tested a bunch of 970s at work and ran into no performance differences than what was promised. It was mainly just a bunch of people that were crying over it but the cards are still fantastic.

Edit: And with the rumored 980 TI's coming out, might be seeing a price drop on the 980's.

Last edited:

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
Well there is a lawsuit against NVIDIA about the 970's, if anything I see a small reimbursement for people that invested in it.

I was looking at EVGA because their RMA department is great, they do cross shipping when they send you a new one and then you just ship back the old card so this way you don't have down time. Also I'd want a video card where I can run medium to high settings without the card running 100% fan speed all times (I tried all the settings trust me, this card just runs way too hot)....

I've been reading about the rumous about the 980ti coming out too, however that is not going to be until September, which is a very long time to wait...
Coming from an old 480gtx this is going to be a huge upgrade for me.

Also the nice thing about EVGA is that they come overclocked the FTW+ versions...so I don't have to OC it myself. Plus I never had any luck OC'ing video cards...to me its too much work.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
After much reading I am comparing the MSI and the ASUS one, they have the better cooling.

Also if I were to buy it though Amazon I could get $40 off by applying for their shitty store card and another 5% back if I pay it in full which would be roughly around $15) which would bring the cost down to $285 give or take few dollars.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
You would like the Gigabyte G1 gaming card. Would be the one I would go for myself. Have seen a few posts around where people were able to get it up to 1500mhz no problem, but OCing GPU's yields little performance gain unless you're really pushing it

The MSI cards are also pretty good. I would rank them just a hair below the Gigabyte

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
You would like the Gigabyte G1 gaming card. Would be the one I would go for myself. Have seen a few posts around where people were able to get it up to 1500mhz no problem, but OCing GPU's yields little performance gain unless you're really pushing it

The MSI cards are also pretty good. I would rank them just a hair below the Gigabyte
Hmmm, the MSI cooling is looking really good, I just want something that is good and cool and lastly an excellent customer service (RMA) based in the US.

Also any difference between these two?

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
The more I look the more I am leaning towards GIGABYTE, looks like they have a bigger community than MSI too...and their RMA is located closer to me.
So GIGABYTE will be it, just deciding which one I should go with, see above post between the two GIGABYTE's.