Fasttraks 3Dmark 11 tests

Fasttrak

Staff member
Finally have a bit of time today, between weed eating the fast growing grass from the most recent rains and recent sunshine, to try and overclock both my CPU and GPU's. One thing during this endeavour that has become painfully clear is my harddrive setup is woefully inadequate. Also, my motherboard is a bottle-neck due to being only a single lane of X16 PCIE 2.0, the other is at x8. In the past, like a decade ago, I was an avid overclocker due to simply being able to easily obtain 50% performance increase with little or no stability issues. In the last couple years that is not the case and the performance increase on air never seemed to be that worthwhile so I never bothered.

The below 3DMark 11 screenshot is with a stock BIOS for the 920 CPU and with the GPU's set at default.

3Dmark11-XL.jpg

The screenshot below is with some basic overclocking of both the CPU and GPU's to a mid-level OC. I want stability to be paramount as I hate chasing gremlins in my systems.

3Dmark11-OC-L.jpg

I will spend some more time after I have had a chance to real-world burn in each level of this overclocking attempt. When I comfortable with stability I will move to the next level. So far pretty happy but I definitely need to upgrade to a better motherboard and possibly even a better CPU, we'll see in the next few weeks as I am not thrilled with the early release of Ivy bridge and it's focus seeming to be mobile devices.

Fasttrak

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
PCI-E 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth for 2x cards configuation.

16x vs 8x = the difference is not much :)

I would look at your default speed i7 920

Fasttrak

Staff member
Here is with raising the CPU to 4.2 GHZ and getting the GPU's up to 6200 memory and 1200 GPU.

3Dmark11-OC-2-L.jpg

Pretty happy with this for the time being.

Fasttrak

Fasttrak

Staff member
now you see why I love overlocking :)

great job!!!
Trouble is, I feel like a blind man with these advanced BIOS settings. Not gonna lie, back in the day there were maybe ten to fifteen things you could honestly change, now it is pages upon pages of timings and multipliers. Seems to be running real stable so might just leave it be as 15,000 in 3Dmarks is pretty good.

Fasttrak

FuZion

The 47 Ronin
Just so you can have a comparison. this is my marks in P, your rig is a beast.

Setup: Amd X6 w/ 2x6870 gpu's / 4 gigs mem

Fasttrak

Staff member
Just so you can have a comparison. this is my marks in P, your rig is a beast.

Setup: Amd X6 w/ 2x6870 gpu's / 4 gigs mem

Thanks Fuzion, was curious to see what other dual card setups were hitting. I can say this, I went from not even really able to play Witcher 2 at all to damn near everything on full. I didn't even realize how low my framerate was in Skyrim but it had to be bad, now I can play it with most everything maxed out.

Fasttrak

I was playing around with OCing my GPU today, but haven't run a score yet. I guess I should get with the program.

I think I went a little too far on the OC when I was in the middle of CSS and the screen went black...so turned it down a notch and noticeable difference.

Fasttrak

Staff member
I was playing around with OCing my GPU today, but haven't run a score yet. I guess I should get with the program.

I think I went a little too far on the OC when I was in the middle of CSS and the screen went black...so turned it down a notch and noticeable difference.

You also have to leave some headroom for the hot days of summer soon to be here. I left mine with quite a bit of overhead as we hit temps nearing 100 most of the summer so that just makes it tougher to keep electronics running cool. I could pay for AC but way too cheap and really don't mind some heat as long as the fans are moving air around.

Fasttrak