What's new

Extreme overclocking?

Blood Fiend

Ive gone to 4.4hgz on my i7 960... the lga1366 chipsets/cpus get a lot hotter then the 1155's ....

I keep mine OC'd at 4.0 ghz for an everyday clock, ... 4.0ghz I7-960 quad core. 24gbs corsair ddr3-1600 ram, gtx 580 SC, Creative titanium sound card. 27" asus monitor(3d), senheisser hd595 headphones.

tuc0

heh, yah, had dual slot-1's on an 440GX intel board, and several others as well. you can actually see my parts history if you look at my old FS threads on [H] (posts #2 & #3 included)...
Damn v.Kami' After reading your old thread, I have to concede yo da man. I still have my old PC's and cartons of old parts. Used to frequent same hardware websites you go to.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
When I first built my rig I had my 3770-k up to 5.3 Ghz... It was stable at a little over 1.47Vcore... And with running my h100i directly on the die and not the IHS my burn in tests never creeped over 55C...btw it was hair raising to mount directly on the die, I was terrified that i mught crack it with mounting pressure... But after some research running that high of a Vcore would llead to voltage fatigue and severely shortened life.. So i dialed it back to 1.32vcore at 4.7Ghz for my 24/7 overclock

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tuc0

I think my best OC was with the Celeron300A and my Abit BE6-II - well, it was one of my most exhilarating OC's, since it was my first. I believe I got it to 450Mhz, which is 50% for those mathematically challenged at this hour of the night. ;)

The next time I tried OC'ing was with my Opteron 165 1.8Ghz; after days upon days, I finally got it to 2.6Ghz. Then came the Core2 days and OC'ing became EASY. I got 46% out of my Core2 E6750 (which I believe is on the OC db @ [H]). Heh, went to check, I guess my best OC was with my Core2 E6400, 70%; 2.1Ghz to 3.6Ghz. Looks like I never submitted for my other Core2 OC's... probably because they were nothing special (avg OC speed, enough entries for the model, etc). I haven't really OC'd passionately since then. My i7 920 got to 4Ghz with minimal effort, which was typical for D0 stepping (50% OC).

I never really go extreme when OC'ing, and I'm almost always on air instead of water. I tend to stick to the max recommended voltages, simply because I hate killing CPUs. I've never OC'd enough to kill a CPU, but I've gotten way too lazy to try an squeeze every ounce out of them. :p
Man... good times. I still have my 300A/Abit PC in the garage. I got it to 450MHz also. I should fire it up to see if still works. BIOS battery maybe bad now.

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
When I first built my rig I had my 3770-k up to 5.3 Ghz... It was stable at a little over 1.47Vcore... And with running my h100i directly on the die and not the IHS my burn in tests never creeped over 55C...btw it was hair raising to mount directly on the die, I was terrified that i mught crack it with mounting pressure... But after some research running that high of a Vcore would llead to voltage fatigue and severely shortened life.. So i dialed it back to 1.32vcore at 4.7Ghz for my 24/7 overclock

55C for IvyBridge using 1.47V is very good, you must live in a cold region.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I lapped the cold plate till it was a mirror... And mounted directly on the Silicon... I even oriented the cold plate so the microfins were inline with the processor and pust just a thin film on the die... I'll post a pic when I find it