Extreme overclocking?

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
What is the most extreme that you overclocked your PC components to?

I OC'ed my CPU 2700k to 5.0Ghz once and things didn't go well. :D

Dickfor.

The 47 Ronin
managed to get my FX-8150 to 4.7 GHz... aaaaaand didn't go so well hehe
I really need to take the time and get my new FX-8350 Past 4.4GHz. I got it there my first try and stressed it w/o crashing. these new FX cpus are a dream when it comes to overclocking.
Heat really isnt an issue in my case, its just stability.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
managed to get my FX-8150 to 4.7 GHz... aaaaaand didn't go so well hehe
I really need to take the time and get my new FX-8350 Past 4.4GHz. I got it there my first try and stressed it w/o crashing. these new FX cpus are a dream when it comes to overclocking.
Heat really isnt an issue in my case, its just stability.
Remember, when it comes down to overclocking, you better take your time or you will be paying the price shortly. :)

v.Kamikaze

47R|Source Division
The 47 Ronin
I think my best OC was with the Celeron300A and my Abit BE6-II - well, it was one of my most exhilarating OC's, since it was my first. I believe I got it to 450Mhz, which is 50% for those mathematically challenged at this hour of the night. ;)

The next time I tried OC'ing was with my Opteron 165 1.8Ghz; after days upon days, I finally got it to 2.6Ghz. Then came the Core2 days and OC'ing became EASY. I got 46% out of my Core2 E6750 (which I believe is on the OC db @ [H]). Heh, went to check, I guess my best OC was with my Core2 E6400, 70%; 2.1Ghz to 3.6Ghz. Looks like I never submitted for my other Core2 OC's... probably because they were nothing special (avg OC speed, enough entries for the model, etc). I haven't really OC'd passionately since then. My i7 920 got to 4Ghz with minimal effort, which was typical for D0 stepping (50% OC).

I never really go extreme when OC'ing, and I'm almost always on air instead of water. I tend to stick to the max recommended voltages, simply because I hate killing CPUs. I've never OC'd enough to kill a CPU, but I've gotten way too lazy to try an squeeze every ounce out of them. :p

This is what I have -

Core i7 2600k @ 4.95Ghz 24x7,
16gb DDR3, 2x GTX 580's @ 815/1630/2050,
Corsair 800D, with Corsair 1200HX
Its all in a Asus Maxmimus IV Extreme Z and CPU is water cooled via twin radiators custom setup. I think I have taken the processor to a maximum of 5.2 Ghz to run a Super Pi 2m or something, this was a couple years ago lol.

I had a couple machines before, which I took as high as I could on Air, starting with an Amd 4200+ Am2 socket back in 2007. That is really when I ventured in OC'ing I still love it, but its a very expensive hobby. This machine should last me another couple years, cause honestly there is nothing I can't run on my 27" 1920x1200 monitor maxxed out.

tuc0

I think my best OC was with the Celeron300A and my Abit BE6-II - well, it was one of my most exhilarating OC's, since it was my first. I believe I got it to 450Mhz, which is 50% for those mathematically challenged at this hour of the night. ;)

The next time I tried OC'ing was with my Opteron 165 1.8Ghz; after days upon days, I finally got it to 2.6Ghz. Then came the Core2 days and OC'ing became EASY. I got 46% out of my Core2 E6750 (which I believe is on the OC db @ [H]). Heh, went to check, I guess my best OC was with my Core2 E6400, 70%; 2.1Ghz to 3.6Ghz. Looks like I never submitted for my other Core2 OC's... probably because they were nothing special (avg OC speed, enough entries for the model, etc). I haven't really OC'd passionately since then. My i7 920 got to 4Ghz with minimal effort, which was typical for D0 stepping (50% OC).

I never really go extreme when OC'ing, and I'm almost always on air instead of water. I tend to stick to the max recommended voltages, simply because I hate killing CPUs. I've never OC'd enough to kill a CPU, but I've gotten way too lazy to try an squeeze every ounce out of them. :p
Been there done that! I even had a dual slot-1 set up. Those were the best times. I went through many video cards: 3dfx, Verite, intel 740, Hercules, ATI, NVidia... and many soundcards, you name it. Back then, 3Dfx was the bomb.

I'm also conservative in overclocking. Presently, I'm using a Phenom II 960T (default 3.0GHz) o/c'd to 4.0GHz. Have to up the voltage to keep it stable under stress test. Would love to have an intel K series, but I have other $ priorities right now. I'm happy with this AMD for my flightsims.

v.Kamikaze

47R|Source Division
The 47 Ronin
Been there done that! I even had a dual slot-1 set up. Those were the best times. I went through many video cards: 3dfx, Verite, intel 740, Hercules, ATI, NVidia... and many soundcards, you name it. Back then, 3Dfx was the bomb. ...
heh, yah, had dual slot-1's on an 440GX intel board, and several others as well. you can actually see my parts history if you look at my old FS threads on [H] (posts #2 & #3 included)...

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Too scare to OC my rig yet :p Not enough cooling powa gotta get that Hyper 212+ into my case gonna try to OC my 2500k to 4.2GHz