Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Gaming Reviews' started by el jorge loco, Sep 1, 2011.

1. el jorge loco

el jorge loco Staff Member Moderator

That is the best part havoc. You can EASILY go psycho, but it takes skill to avoid the lasers ahaha.

2. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Staff Member Moderator

LOL I am just past this point where the forced play allows that woman to get the upperhand on you. Need to finish off the guards that are placed at the entry.

Honestly, I did see a dead scientist at the bottom of an air duct but did not ake the Icarus landing perk. And I did not take any lighning boosts. Will see what I can get for praxis taking out the current guards.

Fasttrak

3. el jorge loco

lol, gas grenade/gas mine does the trick very well ahahahahahahahahahaha

4. Havoc.Sp

Havoc.Sp Staff Member Moderator

I creeped by them with cloak

5. el jorge loco

DX: HR just released a good update.

Fixes:
    - We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
    o Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
    o Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
    o Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
    - Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
    - Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
    - The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
    - Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
    - A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
    - An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
    - Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
    - Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
    - Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
    - Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
    - In DX9 mode:
    o Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
    o Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
    - The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
    - Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
    - Added windowed mode.
    o Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
    - Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

On top of this we are continuing to monitor for any issues that may need to be addressed in a future patch. One extra feature we can already confirm for a future patch is support for Nvidia 3DVision and Nvidia Surround.

We hope this patch will allow players to further enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

6. Albacore

Albacore Member

You forgot to mention the shitty advertisments they added into the loading screens.

7. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

I have not picked up this game, I'll keep watching reviews and maybe pick it up when the game is $19.99 :)

8. ZoopityDoopity

ZoopityDoopity Member

Not sure if it's too late for me to write a review, but I will anyway.

Visuals:I played the game at 1920x1080, FXAA High, 8x, with all other settings to the respective high. What grabbed me right away with this game was the Art Direction they took and not so much the crisp graphics. Most modern day FPS's tend to go with a more cool palatte for their games. Greys and blues are predominate, and the reds tend to be far more dark. DE:HR goes for a rather striking template of gold, on gold on gold and a whole lot of black. Most buildings are brightly light, grandly so, while others are drab. A wonderful way to highlight one of the main underlying messages of over indulgance within the game.
    The models and characters are not photo-realistic in anyway, though I feel it was an intentional decision as photo-realisim in such a world would have seemed out of place. It doesn't mean that they were not animated or put together very well. Many of the characters, such as David Sarif, convey a lot of emotion and personality which is more than could be said for almost every FPS out there.

I was however annoyed with how some of the models seemed to have a tick, even after the patch. The models would jitter or move in rather awkward, unnatural ways during conversations. Surfaces seemed to have a generic reflection to them, especially windows. Something in games that drives me up the wall as it seems just lazy. At one point I found myself talking to an officer in a subway who was nothing more than just a helmet on the floor! I'll assume that was just some model glitch >.>

Audio:Rich music and sound track that seems perfectly composed with the art direction of the game in mind. The music helped set the perfect mood at just the right time and went away before it was too much.
    The voice acting in this game is just amazing. I'll not go into specifics are there are far too many direct instances of why it is so great but I'll say that each voice in this game lends to form a perfect image of the character. They all sounded believable and invoked what I felt was the intended feeling towards each character. No one person seemed over the top; Cliche perhaps but appropriate for the tone of the game.
    Ambiante sounds of the levels was always enough to give you a sense of your surroundings but never so much that you felt overwhelmed with needless noise. You could overhear idle conversations which were currently reflecting the events going on around you, walk into a windy and oddly silent alley or walk by some punks dancing for the hell of it. It gave the world some life.

I could complain that a lot of the gun shots had a bit of a flat feel to them, but seeing as none of these are REAL weapons I can't exactly give a valid comparison of what they should sound like. The game also tends to fade away certain sounds in the distance, while others you can hear through doors and walls. Footsteps are an example of this. Some footsteps you simply could not hear while others were damn loud.

Gameplay: This is a doozy to cover so I will try to not repeat what has already been said. The game is heavily centered around a unique cover system. In order to really advance in either stealth or just combat you HAVE TO USE COVER. On the hardest difficulty you die in roughly 3 shots with no augments, and close to 5 in normal. If you try to charge out guns blazing you will get overwhelmed and mowed down rather fast. Luckily this game has one of the best first person cover systems. Actually it cheats in that sense. when behind cover the game pans to a 3rd person mode in order to allow you to have a full view of your surroundings and not have it hindered by the wall you are actually hugging. As soon as you pop out to take a shot it will cut back to first person. You can if you want shoot random unaimed shots from cover, but it serves little purpose as a charging enemy in the game generally wont go for cover. Aside from that, as mentioned before it is simply a point and click affair.

Now there were some big negatives.
    The first is the energy system. You start with 3 bars of energy. These are used for things such as breaking down walls, take downs, stealth, moving silently...etc. Many things, cha? So, if you do not totally go through a bar it will replenish (slowly if unaugmented). However if you use all of lets say bar 3, it will NOT recharge. You have to fill valuable LIMITED bag space for items to replenish the bar. More often than not you'll find yourself running with just one bar as at the very least, that last bar will always recharge. I'm surprised there was not an augment to allow more than one damn bar to recharge.

Second, you ARE PENALIZED FOR NOT GOING STEALTH. How you say? Well, you get more XP bonuses for hacking, non leathal take downs, finding hidden passages, not being seems, setting off no alarms. Ontop of that you can avoid places that would be huge pain in the asses to fight your way through generally by finding hidden passages. Literally every room with an abundance of mobs, could be avoided if you stealth on by. Unfortunately you have to fight, and well on the hardest mode, in all boss fights. Seriously?

Enemy AI is also either incredibly smart [they hear your footstep...singular and know exactly where you are] or in some cases have further fields of view than they should. At other times you can essentially walk up right behind them and then knock them out. Okay then.

Also, as a semi-spoiler, the pick an ending bull really annoyed me. Booo!

Overall I immensely enjoyed the game, putting 40 hours in one play through on the hardest difficulty. I can't say the game was perfect but it did give me more than almost any other single player FPS has been able to in a very long time. I'd recommend buying it and supporting the devs so they can continue to push this revived IP forward.

9. el jorge loco

That orange glow is really annoying sometimes. And with the right rig, even the trash is beautiful ahahaha

10. el jorge loco

Reviving an old post, but the Director's Cut version is available on steam for $5.

What's different?
    (1) Boss Fights don't require you to kill them, and encounters are slightly changed so you can take advantage of the environment more to do boss fights.

(2) New Game + (which essentially makes even the game on hardest difficulty really easy).

(3) Commentary! (did they have that in the original?)

(4) The Missing Link DLC is actually part of the game now instead of its own standalone.

I have the original, but I picked it up just to play through it again