What's new

CPU and GPU suggestions

d00b

The 47 Ronin
Now that I am finished with deployments, it's time to go back to a desktop. I already have a lot of brands for certain components I know I will buy, like a crucial SSD, and a corsair PSU/case, etc. The GPU and CPU however, I am open to suggestion.

CPU - I generally go for AMD due to price, I mean an 8 core cpu just sounds sexy, you know? However, I know I don't need that. I probably don't need an I7 either, but would want it just because its more powerful. Can anyone recommend an i5 or any amd they know is solid for gaming and will keep me ahead of the curve for a while, thats reasonably priced? I don't do anything besides games, movies and surfing the web on my pc.

GPU - I lean toward nvidia and have always had a GTX model in any of my computers. I would like the GPU to be the most expensive part of my PC, and was looking into the fury x and all the 500-700 dollar range new nvidia models. I'm rather out of the loop though and just read about the fury x last night. Anyones take on what would be the best bet for right now I'd appreciate.

Thanks in advance. I believe I will start buying components and building when I get back to the states in under two months.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
AMD is like hearing about a really hot chick but once you get with her, it was like being with a 2000lb troll. Go Intel, you pay a little more but it's SO much better.

i5 4690k is the ideal gamer processor ($239, can be less) - The 4790k is about $100 more, but if you aren't doing any type of rendering or anything fancy, the i5 is the best way to go.

$700 range you can pick up THE fastest GPU out which is the GTX 980 TI. This will blow the AMD cards out of the water, since they are just 200 line cards with a new name.

Check out Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker - If you're anywhere near a Microcenter, they have the cheapest components. I5 for $199 and I7 for $279 which if you can get it, the i7 would be worth the extra $30

d00b

The 47 Ronin
Thanks for the advice, and that website is pretty neat. Just made a build and it came out to around 1400, with the 980 ti, blue ray drive, liquid cpu cooler, SSD and a monitor. I was looking to keep it under 1500 and get a beast computer, i think the i5 and 980 ti will be exactly what I want and need.

d00b

The 47 Ronin
Err it actually came out a bit more after I added everything, but still pretty cheap for what I'm getting.

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
Err it actually came out a bit more after I added everything, but still pretty cheap for what I'm getting.
link? whats your list? and are you gonna be near a MC? if not, i can probably swing by Tustin for you, just pay shipping. I dont remember if you were comin back to SoCal or movin up north... :p

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
You live near a MC... Here take my credit card....=O
Thankfully not as close to it as i used to be (you know, back when i couldnt afford anything). They limit your cpu/mobo combo discounts to one per month, though, so sometimes i have to bring someone with me if i want moar more moar!

d00b

The 47 Ronin
Is MC that much cheaper than say, newegg? My first build was a mix of newegg and a fry's store hah. I'll finish researching things soon and post a list, I'm leaving Utska today and won't have internet till we get to the hotel.