What's new

Poll Considering increasing CS:S server slot count...

Should we increase slots size?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

Fasttrak

Staff member
doob, there is no way you are going to tell me that having a potential, based on a group attack, of 32 flashes\nades\smokes T's couldn't take long? Part of what I hate is watching the last three four guys running around mid-map looking for flashes\nades\smokes to pickup, it's becoming a crutch people are using too liberally. In all the years I do not recall this level of spam, ever. So bad that people on both sides of the map are bitching every round, "God damned nade spam!", "Fucking flashed for forty seconds!!", the list goes on and the easy answer, reduce it to one per person, force folks to work together to take or hold a position on the map.

built[4]sin

Staff member
you guys are killing me over here with your old-guy, fuddy-duddy talk:

oh no, they have flashes! and it makes the game harder! (so do you! flashes are part of the game. make it harder for them! i need flashes to rush and i'm not the only one. don't penalize my ilk because you're inconvenienced by legacy gameplay mechanics)

oh no, they have paras! (so do you! paras are part of the game. if you're frustrated with people spraying the doors, that's a player issue, not a game issue. hate the player, not the game)

oh no, they have p90's! (so do you! p90's are part of the game. it takes skill to use a p90 well. ask jorge.)

oh no, 2 more (or 4 more) people per side is going to unbalance the game, make everyone lag and generally OPEN THE GATES OF HELL ON EARTH!!! (sigh. obviously, i disagree. when i play in the evenings, i'm constantly kicking specs - and that's a good thing!! i suggest a compromise. start at 36 and play that way for a couple weeks. at the end of the trial period, hold a vote for the css players: a) keep it b) drop back to 32 c) trial @ 40 player max)

folks, what ice is saying is, looking at the numbers, having more slots in your server attracts more players. more players = larger potential community = growth for our clan. consider the bigger picture and what ice is trying to accomplish, if you will, please.

as for the gameplay... we're back to the ol' "should we restrict the use of (insert item here)?" debate. well, we already restrict the awp and auto. why not just pare our server down to no flashes, too? why not down to no p90s or anything that can go fully auto? hell, why don't we just knife all day? if we don't want people to buy paras, specifically, we a) don't give them so much money per round (we've already decided to go to 16k per round because it attracts more players) b) restrict or forbid the para, entirely (chopping down the forest to spite a tree) c) admin the shit out of it (we've never been a clan that can support 24/7 admins nor are comfortable with that kind of micromanaging oversight). and, as for flashes, it's a pain in the ass to get flashed. that's the point. get there faster. rush through it. delay rush. rush a different direction. flash back. play the game.

those are my first disjointed thoughts. sorry for any offense in advance.

Ztune

Z34Drifter
The 47 Ronin
you guys are killing me over here with your old-guy, fuddy-duddy talk:

oh no, they have flashes! and it makes the game harder! (so do you! flashes are part of the game. make it harder for them! i need flashes to rush and i'm not the only one. don't penalize my ilk because you're inconvenienced by legacy gameplay mechanics)

oh no, they have paras! (so do you! paras are part of the game. if you're frustrated with people spraying the doors, that's a player issue, not a game issue. hate the player, not the game)

oh no, they have p90's! (so do you! p90's are part of the game. it takes skill to use a p90 well. ask jorge.)

oh no, 2 more (or 4 more) people per side is going to unbalance the game, make everyone lag and generally OPEN THE GATES OF HELL ON EARTH!!! (sigh. obviously, i disagree. when i play in the evenings, i'm constantly kicking specs - and that's a good thing!! i suggest a compromise. start at 36 and play that way for a couple weeks. at the end of the trial period, hold a vote for the css players: a) keep it b) drop back to 32 c) trial @ 40 player max)

folks, what ice is saying is, looking at the numbers, having more slots in your server attracts more players. more players = larger potential community = growth for our clan. consider the bigger picture and what ice is trying to accomplish, if you will, please.

as for the gameplay... we're back to the ol' "should we restrict the use of (insert item here)?" debate. well, we already restrict the awp and auto. why not just pare our server down to no flashes, too? why not down to no p90s or anything that can go fully auto? hell, why don't we just knife all day? if we don't want people to buy paras, specifically, we a) don't give them so much money per round (we've already decided to go to 16k per round because it attracts more players) b) restrict or forbid the para, entirely (chopping down the forest to spite a tree) c) admin the shit out of it (we've never been a clan that can support 24/7 admins nor are comfortable with that kind of micromanaging oversight). and, as for flashes, it's a pain in the ass to get flashed. that's the point. get there faster. rush through it. delay rush. rush a different direction. flash back. play the game.

those are my first disjointed thoughts. sorry for any offense in advance.
all i can say is "wow"

A Stable Carbocation

Staff member
Enable awp and I will change my vote to yes ;)

It's not that flashes make the game too hard, in fact it's almost the opposite. It is too easy to lock down a spot (short, for instance) while the Ts nearby are frozen. It reduces action and skill (and thus difficulty) because it's like striking everyone with paralysis.

built[4]sin

Staff member
stable, you're talking about 8 more flashes per round. at max.

all i can say is "wow"
i agree with "wow". wow that group-think continues to be so pervasive in this thread. feel free to debate my points. here's my responses to yours:

1. team flash/smoke
8 more flashes, 4 more smokes, at max, per team.

2. lag

please see ice's response to this issue on the prior page.

3. a lot easier to get random killed with nades, sprays and cooperating campers.
kdr is for professionals, not pubbers. and dying sucks. it's not for the feint-hearted. campers will camp regardless on whether or not there are 4 more players on the opposing team. player issue - not game issue.

4. making ppl more likely to camp, and afraid to rush due to reason #3.
also see #3.

5. harder to defend rushes for CT, or harder to rush for T. Especially when teams were stacked, and making it more stacked.
delay. rush somewhere else. get there first. flash back. there are solutions. and, stackers are stackers. again - this is a player issue - not a game issue. more players =/= more likely to camp.

(NO ONE wants to be the 1st one to rush, there r tons of guns/nades/flashes waiting behind that wall/door, u r fucked once u step out.)
i LOVE being the first one to rush. and yeah, 75% of the time i'm fucked, right out the gate. yet i still manage to lead the team, and sometimes the leader board, from the front.

6. when dealing with more enemies, ppl tend to buy P90 and Para more. this will make the game lame as shit, and we already had enough P90 players.
so having fewer players will make people buy pistols more? i disagree with your logic. and, my P90 >>>>> ur mom.

(it would be a chaos with 3 or above of guys spraying the P90/Para to a door. fucking random kills.)
again, player issue-not game issue.

7. I personally do NOT like crowded server.
i personally LOVE crowded servers.

8. ALL THE ABOVE.

yes, very.

Ztune

Z34Drifter
The 47 Ronin
stable, you're talking about 8 more flashes per round. at max.

i agree with "wow". wow that group-think continues to be so pervasive in this thread. feel free to debate my points. here's my responses to yours:

1. team flash/smoke
8 more flashes, 4 more smokes, at max, per team.

2. lag

please see ice's response to this issue on the prior page.

3. a lot easier to get random killed with nades, sprays and cooperating campers.
kdr is for professionals, not pubbers. and dying sucks. it's not for the feint-hearted. campers will camp regardless on whether or not there are 4 more players on the opposing team. player issue - not game issue.

4. making ppl more likely to camp, and afraid to rush due to reason #3.
also see #3.

5. harder to defend rushes for CT, or harder to rush for T. Especially when teams were stacked, and making it more stacked.
delay. rush somewhere else. get there first. flash back. there are solutions. and, stackers are stackers. again - this is a player issue - not a game issue. more players =/= more likely to camp.

(NO ONE wants to be the 1st one to rush, there r tons of guns/nades/flashes waiting behind that wall/door, u r fucked once u step out.)
i LOVE being the first one to rush. and yeah, 75% of the time i'm fucked, right out the gate. yet i still manage to lead the team, and sometimes the leader board, from the front.

6. when dealing with more enemies, ppl tend to buy P90 and Para more. this will make the game lame as shit, and we already had enough P90 players.
so having fewer players will make people buy pistols more? i disagree with your logic. and, my P90 >>>>> ur mom.

(it would be a chaos with 3 or above of guys spraying the P90/Para to a door. fucking random kills.)
again, player issue-not game issue.

7. I personally do NOT like crowded server.
i personally LOVE crowded servers.

8. ALL THE ABOVE.

yes, very.
don't wanna debate, everyone is different, and no matter what changes we made, we are making our own choices.

also my limited English makes me not allow to explain myself clearly :)

:dumb:

A Stable Carbocation

Staff member
8 more flashes is a lot.

With 8 more players, you can't "rush somewhere else." That makes rushing even harder. Let's be honest, 3 of the 4 new players per team are most likely going to play defensively; it's a pipe dream to think that increasing the player count will add more action at any one point in the game besides the "oh no, 30 seconds left GOGOGOGOGOG" part. While I agree that kdr is meaningless, I personally do not like spending 30 seconds alive and 1:30 dead. 25% is not a good use of my time- but maybe that's just me.

To me, it just seems to be math. You add 4 more players per team- I'd bet money that 3/4 of them will use their positions and nades defensively. One of the grenade's purposes is to lock down areas or to punish rotating players (including rushes). More players will do that than will use them to take sites.

And on another personal notes, I hate dying to a volley of nades without even seeing my opponent.

Having a growing community should be balanced by having a good server (if the two things must be part of some give and take). I see no real benefit, though I suppose the regulars of the server might not care. As someone who drops into the CSS server only occasionally, I may have a different mindset and feel for the server.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
We have to realize communities improve, we need to keep improving, we have to constantly make changes.
A year ago our CS:S server was empty 90% of the times and at max with 12 players at a time, that was our lowest point in the past decade of our CS:S server, we made changes, we adjusted and look where our server is at, we can't keep sticking with the same old thing, we have to evolve, I understand people are afraid of changes, but we all need to take a leap of faith if its going to help the community to grow.

I want this clan to be around for the next decade, and so far the decisions I've made with your help have been good ones, that's why we are still here today talking about it on these forums.

Like I said previously, if things don't work out we will adjust and revert back and think of something else.
Our benchmarks need to be communities like HellsGamers, EGO and few other large communities that run a very successful gaming community, don't get me wrong here, we do run a successful community, but our goal is to become bigger and better.

Adding slots to the server would not degrade our server performance, if I see any issues running larger slots we will make the appropriate changes to fix it.

Also people keep arguing about the server para, if half of you actually read what I write on these boards then you should know I've limited machine guns 2 per team for CS:S and CS:GO few weeks back. CS:GO CS:S Machine guns restriction!

d00b

The 47 Ronin
doob, there is no way you are going to tell me that having a potential, based on a group attack, of 32 flashes\nades\smokes T's couldn't take long? Part of what I hate is watching the last three four guys running around mid-map looking for flashes\nades\smokes to pickup, it's becoming a crutch people are using too liberally. In all the years I do not recall this level of spam, ever. So bad that people on both sides of the map are bitching every round, "God damned nade spam!", "Fucking flashed for forty seconds!!", the list goes on and the easy answer, reduce it to one per person, force folks to work together to take or hold a position on the map.
What I said is I need two flashes to rush long alone, when I'm on a team that doesn't rush. If everyone does rush, then it isn't a problem. But a lot of the time I am solo rushing long... hah

And @built[4]sin I don't really wish to get rid of p90s and paras, but it would be oh so sweet if I had an awp vs them. Fuck it, try more slots. But don't restrict flashes!