Considering getting a smart tablet for my parents

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
In a month or so I plan on buying a tablet for my parents so they can make Skype calls to family members overseas, I am considering the iPad since they are familiar with it since they have an iPhone, what do you guys think?
Would I be better off getting something else or is this the way to go?

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Since you mentioned Skype, I first thought of how I read that Surface 2's came with a free year of Skype, but even if that is still valid, I don't think I could recommend that. ha
If they're already familiar and have iPhones, I don't think I'd consider anything other than an iPad. The question I'd have is if they need the latest and greatest or save a bit on an older yet still capable generation (or mini).

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
I'd want the latest and greatest since they are considerable faster than the last gen, I don't think they care much about the speed, but at the end of the day I don't like being cheap for my parents. I want the best for them...of course I want something for them that they feel comfortable using. Android based systems at times could get confusing for non tech savvy people.

mclovin

Ipad. My dad got my mom one 3 years ago (she's since upgraded) but both of them use them and are happy. Very user friendly

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
I am debating either picking up the iPad Air or wait for the next iPad and see what new improvements are made.
So far iOS7 has been fantastic, looking forward to the next iOS8.