What's new

Computer pooped out on me a few weeks ago

Nutbutter

Staff member
@CutScene I still haven't got that CPU to work man. I need to remember to call MSI support one of these days and see if it is compatible with my MOBO.

prezident

The 47 Ronin
Was my turn for my comp to crap out on me. Wouldn't boot past BIOS and all I'd get was a black screen. Installing W7 fresh wouldn't work because each time I tried to format a partition it would throw up an error that it couldn't format there. Had to run over to Fry's and grab a fresh HD and that fixed the problem. Such a relief to be back up and running, and god what a hassle.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Was my turn for my comp to crap out on me. Wouldn't boot past BIOS and all I'd get was a black screen. Installing W7 fresh wouldn't work because each time I tried to format a partition it would throw up an error that it couldn't format there. Had to run over to Fry's and grab a fresh HD and that fixed the problem. Such a relief to be back up and running, and god what a hassle.
Man, I think our computers' time of the month are in sync. :p Did your black screen have a cursor or no cursor? :p I just took the drive out, put it in an external and the C: partition is RAW. That's always fun. :)

prezident

The 47 Ronin
Yep, black screen, never even got past bios, nothing worked, keyboard, mouse, nada. LOLz...our comps are syc'ing up.

Anyway, the HDD is totally corrupted. I'd like to figure out how to fix it as a learning experience but we'll see. I'm not even sure you can fix something like that.

el jorge loco

Staff member
@prezident - not to hijack nut's thread, but you may still be able to access your HDD's files by plugging it into an external HDD's bay (removing the HDD inside the bay). You won't be able to to run the OS off it, but you may be able to access certain files off it.

All of this means you need to have some tools on hand.