What's new

Computer pooped out on me a few weeks ago

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Hay so I tried to install that Hex core and get it running but as soon as I power on it just shuts down with in a second. My bios is fully up to date and I removed the hex core and put in my old i7 920 and it fired right up! Not sure what the issue is. :\
Did you see the Bios/Mobo logo splashed?

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Hay so I tried to install that Hex core and get it running but as soon as I power on it just shuts down with in a second. My bios is fully up to date and I removed the hex core and put in my old i7 920 and it fired right up! Not sure what the issue is. :\
There is a chance that your mobo doesn't support the processor

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Hmm.. Looking up the board, it supports all the way up to the big 990x so it should work fine.

Might need to do a soft reset on the board.

Put the CPU in, just unplug the power from the back of the case and hold the power button in for 45 seconds to clear out the cache.

Nutbutter

Staff member
The thing shuts down before anything can even come onto the screen. Ill check with MSI support when I get the chance but check the version of the Bios that is online and it is the one installed. I will need to buy some more thermal grease and try again... and how do i clear the CMOS is that hitting the reset button or holding down the power button on the board for like 10 sec?

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
and how do i clear the CMOS is that hitting the reset button or holding down the power button on the board for like 10 sec?
there's either a button or jumper on your board that you'll need to press/short while the psu is disconnected.

what board do you have again? sorry, this thread is long, lol.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Ok, so this is a review I read on Amazon for a model up (x5680). Also note, this guy has the Pro-E mobo (also 8.F version of firmware) and went from an i7 950, so nothing the same. haha But still...it sounds like similar recommendations regarding a BIOS reset.
---
Replaced my i7 950 with this in my MSI x58 Pro-E motherboard (Last Firmware 8.F)

At first the computer fired up and all, but nothing woke the screen up. Scared and worried I ran around the web trying to make sure I had compatible hardware with this Xeon. Couldn't find anything. So I did a full BIOS reset. BAM! Worked. (I had the 950 OC'd to 4Ghz from it's 3.03) and needed to neutralize the speed back to norm. IT CAME ON! Of course I had to let Windows 8.1 know I was same user with new Chip, which went without a hitch.
---