What's new

Christmas for my daughter's

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I'm wanting to invest in my daughter's education by giving them access to online educational programs like abc mouse. I fixed a 2008 amd turion laptop for them and it barley handles abc mouse and other rich websites.

I'm looking at chromebooks because they are simple and by signing in with their Google account all the parental controls are locked in that I have already set up.

Most chromebooks are terribly and frustratingly underpowered until just recently.

Acer has released two chromebooks with some serious oomph in that ecosystem.

One having the quad core tegra k1and a nicer design

Acer | Acer Chromebook | Chromebook 13 CB5-311-T1UU | Overview

And one with an i3 and an hd 4400

Acer | C720 | C720-3871 | Datasheet

Then a third model with a 2955u celeron and intel hg graphics and touch

Acer | C720 | C720P-2457 | Datasheet

WebGL is going to get bigger and websites richer... I've listed them in depending gpu horsepower... I believe that the most capable cpu is the i3... And the one with touch... Well has touch...

I don't want a Windows machine because of their age and Windows 8

I'm leaning towards the K1 chromebook because it would have the best gpu and in a demo video multi tasked well... But I don't think it can compete processor wise with an i3 even tho it is dual core... But being 64bit I don't know how much better that could be... The K1 gpu is marginally faster then the hd4400...and then the k1 might have exclusive nvidia stuff going on in the future

I need some nerd help bad... I'm sure stuff will be refreshed before November and I'll buy on sale if I can... I just need some advice on the processor's performance and some opinions

@Hunter

And anyone else who can contribute

d00b

The 47 Ronin
I generally use notebookcheck.com to view specs and tests on mobile GPU's. I really like the site because they break it down into FPS in Max, High, Medium or Low settings for different games.

I don't know much about the Tegra K1, but they do have a page for it. It scored 473 over 400 for the Celeron 2995u which one of the chromebooks you linked has, in whatever test they ran. haha

NVIDIA Tegra K1 SoC - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And I love it when they break it down barney style for me, like with the HD 4400. You can actually see what games you'll be able to run to get an idea of the power.

Intel HD Graphics 4400 - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Hopefully this site helps you somewhat, since I can't be more helpful beyond this.

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Looked like you got it :)

Or sell one of your TI then use that money and buy her a MacBook Pro :)

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
I have a 1st gen Acer Chromebook and it's pretty neat. I love the idea of quick booting, always updated and generally free of virus concerns. The kids had taken it over, but there's always a time when you find yourself needing a Windows app or browser extension not supported by the Chromebook that has you busting out a Windows laptop/desktop instead. I know things should only get better in that department, but it always seems a shortcoming is inevitable. As long as you're fairly sure they can do everything they need with Chrome apps/extensions, they might be fine.

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
You can use a VM for Windows stuff, if you ever need it. I doubt your kids will need to, but if so, just teach them how.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
processor wise the quad core a-15 keeps up with the 2955u... graphics wise the k1 beats the two but falls behind marginally on the CPU single thread throughput

Thank you for your advice and suggestions, I will go with the Tegra K1 chrombook as it has about 90% the CPU power of the i3 and 105% the gpu power of the hd 4400 with 3 extra hours of runtime

Now what I want to see the the Tegra K1 with project Denver's 64bit arm v8... they claim haswell single thread performance and all kinds of crazy code optimization... maybe that will make it in a short term refresh considering the chips are pin compatible

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
You can use a VM for Windows stuff, if you ever need it. I doubt your kids will need to, but if so, just teach them how.
I think you're gonna have to teach me how. haha
I've been using VMs for...ever, but if a Chromebook can run VMs, that's news to me. Maybe remoting into one hosted elsewhere.
I hope I'm wrong though cuz that would be awesome.

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
I think you're gonna have to teach me how. haha
I've been using VMs for...ever, but if a Chromebook can run VMs, that's news to me. Maybe remoting into one hosted elsewhere.
I hope I'm wrong though cuz that would be awesome.
haha, i don't have one, so i havent done it, but a simple google search should help. my coworker educated me on it when i was sayin chromebooks were useless for me.

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I got to play around with some chromebooks today powered by the 2955u... That processor is rather capable... Rich websites worked well... Hell the i3 powered windows machine was zippy... Makes me second guess the tegra option