Carefully drove my car into a construction ditch!

Discussion in 'Auto Section' started by Spray, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Nutbutter

Nutbutter Staff Member Moderator

No full coverage auto insurance? If you have full coverage auto insurance they will cover it.... but you need to inform them ASAP and get that witness to talk to them as well. They will fix it and will take any legal action against the city for not properly marking the construction area. Should be listed as a Not At Fault accident since the area was not properly marked which would make the city/construction company liable for the damages.

2. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

3. yarr

yarr The 47 Ronin

check your water pump

4. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

my car doesn't have a water pump. i use air cooling only

5. mbenson

mbenson Member

good call, nut

6. built[4]sin

built[4]sin Staff Member Moderator

is it that washing machine thumping you're talking about?

sounds like something's been broken loose. how's your exhaust pipe run under the car? do you have mechanical or electric fans? could the blades be hitting their shrouds? do you feel vibration along with the sound? i wish i could see the orientation of your engine/tranny, too... when engaged in drive, your tranny may "lean" one direction causing internals to tilt a bit and bump up against something. you say you don't hear this in reverse, right? and it goes away as rpm increases? how's your car's performance while driving? the rhythm leads me to believe it's engine-related, but i can't tell from here :-/

unfortunately, i could probably ask a bunch of these questions every time you respond... the only way you're really gonna know is have a mechanic put his face underneath and tell you. to me, it sounds like something's out of alignment and rubbing on something else or vibrating against it. maybe you snapped a bolt or two or the like on a bracket or some such. sorry not much help, spray

7. FuZion

FuZion The 47 Ronin

Damn dude.. I would have gotten out of the car and taken pictures and had the state pay for your damages. just to get a re-alignment isn't cheap these days. Sorry to hear this happened man that's fucked up I'd be so fucking pissed off and im sure you were as well. Glad your okay and it wasn't much bigger then that.

8. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

Thanks all. The guy that did my alignment 3 months ago said my car sustained frame damage and needs to be straightened out (pulled forward?). He looked at the left side and pointed out that the gap between my tire and fender was an even 3 fingers all around, but the side that took the hit had 4 fingers in the front and only 2 fingers in the back. He suspected that various components in that area could be damaged so I scheduled a check-up with a local mechanic tomorrow morning at 8:30AM to assess the damage. I'll report back when I get more details.

Also, I spoke with a lawyer and was told that I had 6 months to file a complaint with the city to pursue damages and that I should talk to my neighbors to testify as a witness for my cause. I plan on doing so, but I'll file the complaint after I take care of my car.

Cheers!

9. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

Long story short, I had the right side pulled forward to match the left side. Several measurements were equal distance on both sides. Replaced the entire front right upper and lower control arms, and whatever else the things are called in that area. Got my alignment and now the car runs straight again. I scheduled another appointment tomorrow morning to investigate the new oil leak.

I'm much better off today than 5 days ago, but I don't feel the same about my car anymore. It's time to sell it off and window shop for a replacement. :(