Carefully drove my car into a construction ditch!

Discussion in 'Auto Section' started by Spray, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

Last Thursday, Construction workers left 4-inch deep by 1-foot wide ditches unattended in the middle of the road on my block. As I took the 15mph left swerve out of my block and noticed children playing on the sidewalk, my attention was distracted by their presence for a quick second. Next thing I know, my car is bouncing up and down like I'm getting hit by a 20.0 earth quake. After I see construction workers come over to my area, I realized that I drove into a ditch.

When I got out of my car, both tires on the right were still in the ditch. The front right tire was flat. Visual inspection of the underside revealed that the car bottomed out on the left edge of the ditch. My bumper suffered a 4 inch scrape on the right side and is now slightly un-aligned. The front right tire is flat and rim is damaged beyond drivability. There are small dings and scrapes, resembling a dotted line a surgeon may draw before an incision, along the bottom of the right side.

The rim + 2 matching set of tires replacement for the front axel is the least of my worries. I'm worried about this rattling sound that happens when I put my car in drive and foot on the brakes at a full stop. The engine is virtually quiet when in P, R, or N. This started post ditch-surfing. I'm concerned that the shock knocked something loose - besides my alignment and bumper (lol). I have to wait until after my re-alignment gets done before having a mechanic check out the damage, but I want to hear out some of your experienced diagnoses to see if they are consistent with some I have read up online.

Thanks ya'll.

p.s. RIP 6018847308_455836e1b5_b.

-Spray

2. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Staff Member Founder

Oh my, well at least I'm glad you are ok, I hope.
    I'd also suggest taking the care to an authorized acura dealer, they might be able to troubleshoot the rattling noise better.

3. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

I'm perfectly fine. What about visiting the stealership? lol

4. built[4]sin

built[4]sin Staff Member Moderator

ok so describe your actions:

-foot on brake
    -car not moving
    -car in D - not in P, N, R

describe the sound. (whining, grinding, rattling, etc.)
    where's the sound coming from? (forward, under, side)
    can you hear the sound better when you open the window and are next to something? (echo from underneath)
    any additional sounds or vibrations?
    what happens when release the brakes?
    sounds or vibrations upon acceleration or braking?

5. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

Generally, the rattling sound comes from forward right. It's most noticable when I'm idling in "D". When I accelerate, the rattling fades, but when I come back to idle in "D", the rattling continues. I'll get back to you when I have more details.

Thanks Sin.

6. Captain Cap

Captain Cap New Member

What year/model is it? I have a 92 civic that slightly rattles when I'm in D and stopped also. This is a light rattle. I touch my window and it stops. Eigenfrequency. Don't dismiss this sound if it sounds like it could be something in the engine, but have a friend poke around and touch stuff. It might be something that was made loose.

Oh yeah! I also had my exhaust pipe down under my car lose the insulation (it wore out) that keeps it from rattling. This would rattle loudly. See if you can touch the exhaust pipe (not with your hand, of course) along various parts to see if it is rattling against the car somewhere. My mechanic friend let me know this is kinda minor, you can reinsulate it, mine went away on its own.

Another thing, was this ditch marked? You might have a case if it was completely unattended, no "open ditch" signs were displayed, and it was reasonable to not see it (i.e. the location was an intersection and as a cautious driver, you would also need to scan around, you can't pay attention solely to the condition of the road).

7. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

They did not put up signs or stand near the ditch. You can't spot the ditch unless you've been walking around the hood surveying the trenches. I don't even know what to do to pursue this case.

My 2002 Acura 3.2TL took a heavy blow to the underside when it bounced up and down the trench. It seems like I'm going to be footing the repair bills unless there's a way to sue west valley construction for their negligence.

8. Captain Cap

Captain Cap New Member

Is this ditch still there? Are there still no signs? Did you take pictures. You need pictures now. Go if you haven't, like RIGHT NOW. Get that done first, very very important to your case. Go to/call a law firm and see what they can do. I'm pretty sure they can do something. I notice tons of stupid signs when I'm driving that say "unlevel ground." I'm sure they wouldn't go through tons of effort to cover their asses about ANY road discrepancy if a lawsuit couldn't be made.

9. Spray

Spray The 47 Ronin

The ditch was covered up within the hour of the accident - three days ago. I did not take any pictures, but I have witnesses that live on the block. Don't know if they'll testify for my cause though. I just submitted my case to a lawyer's online hub. I'll update if they say anything.

10. Captain Cap

Captain Cap New Member

Okay. Well, be honest with your neighbors. See if any of the ones you know actually drove on that road and realized they could have almost went into a ditch. If you can't get enough witnesses in written statements (that'd probably be best) from the people you know, maybe try going door to door asking if anyone else drove on that road and realized that an unmarked ditch was there, that you had an accident and are seeking witnesses to the unmarkedness of the ditchedness.

Tell the lawyer hub that you have no photos and ask what the best course of action is.

Good luck with this, I know how badly it sucks to have your car crap out on you.