What's new

Career Change

Col. Gaspar

The 47 Ronin
I honestly don't know if I want to work in health care anymore... The prospect of doing this much longer is rather depressing

I have always been a huge computer nerd and love working with computers... I just don't know what I could do in tech that would pay what I need or at least a school I could go to... I have an itt tech close to home, about an hour away, but none of the degrees offered really sing with me... I was thinking about something with servers or network engineering but not sure where to start

Those who work in the field and can suggest anything would be much appreciated

v.Kamikaze

47R|Source Division
The 47 Ronin
it really depends on what you want to do. if you like tinkering with pc hardware parts, it support is the best you can get, but its not a very fun job. i got out of it quick, simply because i love it too much - when it's your job, you tend to hate it and do less of it during your spare time. its more fun when its your hobby. therefore, im a hardware junkie by night, sw engineer by day.

d00b

The 47 Ronin
I went to school for a+ certification and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, i quickly learned I hated helping people with their computers that are a total mess and they have no clue whats going on. Its really frustrating to me when someone has zero knowledge of computers, or even like the last program they downloaded etc etc Thats my only insight, I was just agreeing with kami in a way. I love messing with MY computers, fuck everyone else ruining my fun.

tuc0

Gaspar, I think you better stick to healthcare. From what I read, they are plentiful and high paying. Fun, easy jobs (I know that's relative) usually are low paying. At the end of each pay day, you will be happier with one that supports you and your family comfortably. I switched careers many times, and I found out they felt to me pretty much the same: hard (mentally/physically), monotonous, frustrating, boring, insulting, ... That's why it's called a job.

v.Kamikaze

47R|Source Division
The 47 Ronin
If you want more free time, freelance IT support is good, if you have clients. Healthcare industry pays well because everyone wants to live forever - and is willing to pay for it. It's not quite the same for computers, since you can find any geek from a squad to help you fix yours.

My mom asked me what I wanted to do when I graduated HS; I said, "build computers." She said, "Sorry, Michael Dell beat you to it!" Before I decided on computer engineering, I was very interested in computer hardware, which meant electrical engineering. Then I found out how hard it was to get a good hardware engineering job, so I switched to software.

I think it's great to follow your heart and dreams, but you gotta pay the bills. The trick is finding a career that will afford you the time and money to support the hobbies you love, without driving you insane.

pygmyzombie

The 47R Recruit
I can't speak for doing computer stuff in particular, but I highly encourage you to make the switch. Feeling fulfilled and whatnot is a valuable, valuable thing, and you shouldn't let the fact that changing careers is difficult get in your way.