What's new

Building a workstation with water cooling.

Fasttrak

Staff member
Still waiting on the Caselabs package, getting painful at this point. Decided to move ahead and do the board layout with water blocks. This is officially the heaviest motherboard try I have ever put together, about ten pounds currently. With graphics cards, heavy steel fitting and water, I am glad this case has the motherboard sitting flat in it's mounting location.

Word to the wise, when assembling a parts list for a build I would highly suggest downloading the mfg tech sheets, everyone of them has it if you look. The time and money saved from possibly missing a small detail that will keep two items from working together. Such was the case with the ram I chose and the EK water block mounts. Had I downloaded and read the 1 page tech sheet I would of known that Corsair Dominator will not work with these blocks, SHIT!! I realized this after breaking down the ram modules and cleaning them thoroughly did they not even come close to fitting in EK water blocks. Crap, trip to Central Computer fixed that problem but now I have a broke down set of Corsair Dominator ram...

Pic of the Dominator Ram Module with extended top over most normal ram height.

And with the proper height ram modules all is better.

Water blocks installed along with the ram modules, just waiting on the final setup for the front panel and the radiators and motherboard can get installed. I am finding out it is all in the detail and especially the ones you miss.

Looks good.

Fingers crossed that I get a package from San Diege with the name Caselabs in the From: line...

Fasttrak

Staff member
Damn Ram cooling, that's some extreme shit :)

In most case layouts I would agree but with this layout and the airflow such as it is, keeping the ram below 60C was a good thing. With the fans turning at about half will have them turning about 1,100 rpm, plenty to keep the system cool but will not produce much airflow at all around the ram nestled down beside the graphics cooler and mono-block, on air the system ran the ram pretty warm, almost 10C higher than in my Silverstone case. Besides, why the hell not cool that shit! It looks kick-ass :-P

tuc0

Man, I gotta give it to you Fasttrak. That's a lot of challenges and work! It'll be worth it after it's done. Thanks for posting your progress. We're all waiting for the finale (or the money $hot, to you @Hunter ).

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Probably my bad eyesight but it looked to me that the ram on the right side looked kind of crooked.

Fasttrak

Staff member
Probably my bad eyesight but it looked to me that the ram on the right side looked kind of crooked.

Not at all, it all comes down to multiple parts being pressed together using thermal pads and slight mfg. differences in these heat spreaders. The ram was cleanly seated after the heat spreaders were installed, .5mm thermal pads run the length at the top of the ram module heat spreader gives some variances along it's length. The ram modules sit slightly differently against the ceiling of the heat spreaders adding some slight variances to how it all seats together. Add in the motherboard slightly bows inward from all the weight, this damned thing is heavy.

The important part is the ram modules sit nicely against the heat spreaders with very high quality thermal pads to wick off heat. The EK design is simple but very functional way to move heat up and out onto the water blocks, enough contact for the amount of heat needed to be pulled off the ram modules.