Brink, The Game

el jorge loco

Staff member
I'm not sure if you guys remember my short review of this game from the previous iteration of the 47R-squad forums. However, I'd like to write up another one. Occasionally you will see me on Brink, and I tell you, I like the game despite a lot of the controversies and bugs that got it off to a rough start.

Gameplay
I'm actually going to break up gameplay between single-player and multiplayer, even though this game is basically designed for multiplayer like TF2 and CS.

General
Starting out
When a round starts, you begin with a basic amount of supplies, noted on the lower right hand corner next to the grenade icon. When you start running out of bullets for your gun, your supply limit will drain to replenish your ammunition (also your grenades). Health indicator is in the upper left hand corner. Objectives (main and one side) are located in the upper right hand corner. The below screenshot of the hud is slightly different on PC, but the general look is there. It's fairly intuitive hud that is not too obstructive to the world.

You also get two guns which you can change at command centers. There is always one dedicated command center at your re-spawn point. However, the game also features various supply or health command posts that are located in different parts of the map that can be fought over by either team. Command centers allow you to change class and your gun loadout, MIDGAME!

Classes
Brink offers you a fluid class system that allows you to pick (mid-game) any class to complete an objective. You do not need any particular skills to do objectives as different classes; however, some skills improve your ability to complete objectives. For example, rescue missions requires medics, and some skills let you heal faster and better. Other times, you will require an engineer to repair cranes to move onto the next stage or to make an area of the map much more easily accessed. The class system offers TF2 objective-heavy play, but at the same time elasticity in the approach to completing your objectives.

Objectives
As mentioned above, Brink is a very objective-heavy game. You typically have a dynamic main objective that changes as you complete one until you win (or lose) the game. In addition to the main objective you are given a number of side missions that help further completion of the main objective. Because classes are fluid, objectives can be divied out by player, by class build, or just in an ad-hoc fashion. A helpful objective wheel lets you choose between objectives while in game and then offers you a blip to it. Also, the objective wheel offers class-based objectives, consequently, the class you may currently be may not have objectives. But, as mentioned above, finding a command post and changing your class is fairly simple and easy.

Parkour
If you love Parkour, team games, and FPS, this is definitely the reason to get it. Even if you just like a game where you can really do some crazy parkour moves with the environment, it is totally worth getting. Also known as vaulting, parkour allows you to move almost seamlessly through any environment (within reason, though those limits of reasons are pretty small) through free-running and lots and lots of jumping. Heavier classes will OBVIOUSLY have a harder time at this than someone who is super skinny, but not necessarily impossible to climb. But definitely, parkour is one of the reasons why I honestly got this game.

Shooting
Shooting is akin to Call of Duty. While you do have a reticle for shooting at the hip, you also have access to iron sights and scopes depending on your guns. See below for review on weapon modification. The guns are accurate based on the mods you place on it, how you shoot it, how you move your mouse, and what type of gun you are using. Rifles = greater stability but lower firing rate, Handguns = high accuracy and lowest firing rate, SMGs = High Fire rate and low accuracy rating. It's pretty standard shooter in these terms.

Teamplay
As discussed, Brink requires a lot of team play. Even on single player mode, teams make a huge difference in both time to completing a mission and the relative ease. I've played online a few times with good teams and bad teams. You can really tell the difference. No one person can carry a team by themselves and success requires a lot of communication. The better your team is at covering the player who is completing the objectives, the more fun you will have. Conversely, a bad team may just make you want to throw your headset in frustration and scream.

Single Player
Single Player (especially on a good rig) makes this game extremely fun if you know what you are doing, or even remotely how to play a class. The tutorial/challenges are very helpful in my eyes, but nothing beats actually getting into the game yourself and start experimenting. The only problem with single player is the intelligence of team AI's. Essentially, the AIs on your team are completely retarded, but the opposing AI is highly sophisticated and intelligent. If you're into challenges, then you shouldn't be complaining to much, because it sure is challenging to complete objectives when your team is acting dumber than nubs in a noobsalad server.

Multiplayer
Multiplayer runs like TF2. I haven't had the opportunity to play multiplayer in awhile, but I hope that their recent updates have fixed a long-standing bug that has thwarted Brink's entry. One of the main things, as discussed above, is the fact that you can vault over many objects (limited only by your choice in character size). Vaulting, however in Multiplayer, had been plagued with lag spikes that made the game almost unbearable for those who started practicing in single player. However, if they have fixed this lag issue, the game in Multiplayer is very much a better and cleaner version of TF2.

Customization
Characters
Archetypes
Character archetypes start in three formats (two of which you have to earn, but it's easy). As you can imagine, it's skinny, medium, heavy. Each archetype has its advantage and allows you access to different content, medium being the middle path that lets you have access to a little of both worlds. Skinny characters are given the greatest freedom of movement in game and can reach any part of the map quickly through a combination of sprint and parkour. However, the trade-off is that their weapons are limited and they are extremely susceptible to attacks. On the other hand, heavies have access to all weapons available in the game, but they are also slow and easily encumbered by their own size. That being said, they also have the highest physical health in game.

Sides
When you start a new character, the game asks you to pick a side. This is mostly for cutscenes and what not and does not serve to do all too much. Essentially, it's red vs. blue (Resistance v. Security, respectively). The only difference is the access to clothing. Hair styles and tattoos are universal. Resistance offers typical punk gear while Security offers typical enforcement and order gear. Factions really don't make too much of a difference because you can play both sides and customize your one character's looks (but not size) in two different formats for the factions. Also, you're offered multiple character slots to have at it if you will. Honestly, you'll only need three (one for each size) plus additional characters for classes.

Skills
There are an assortment of skills that are tied to each class, but not limited to characters. In other words, you may have a heavy focus on engineer and soldier, but you may also add points (gained every two levels) to medic or operative. There are also universal skills that are applied no matter what class you are, and they tend to be fancier and fancier as you go along. As you level up, new skills are unlocked for you to add into. Should you also feel that you don't like your point selections up to this point, you can reset by giving up a level (or some) and get points back to customize again.

Weapons
Of all the things I love is having a custom set-up for individual guns. Granted, you can only have one customization per gun (no multiple guns with different configurations). However, because you can change it and because there is a great depth of guns available, you won't be annoyed too much by any of this. Also, you can change guns mid-game. MID GAME!

Maps
I can say without a doubt that the maps are stunning and large. Online games can support (from what I've seen) 8 v 8 if not more. The more the merrier, and crazier. Objectives become more important in those instances. However, the maps sport luscious and beautiful views of the Ark. From the Guest Pelgos to Founder's Tower, you can battle it out for dominance and survival. I love the maps personally and they are just extremely friendly to parkour!

The Story
The story is bleh. Basically, the world is swallowed up by the oceans thanks to Global Climate change. Scientists with funding build a floating city called the Ark made of a new type of material called arkoral which is highly malleable and durable. As the oceans continue to rise, more and more people begin to move to the Ark. Eventually, the scientists along with its security contingent, begin to realize that the people coming to the Ark would cripple not only it's energy supply, but also it's space and resources. So, in an act of desperation, the Ark staff (Founders) break off from the coast and move the city into the Pacific. However, even that is temporary respite, as those who were on boats and ships eventually found their way to the Ark and began crashing their ships into the Ark's exterior, using containers and whatever material they could find to build the city. The Resistance, led by Comrade Chen, is attempting to seek help from the outside world and to survive. While Security, led by Captain Mokoena and the Founders, intend to protect and save the Ark from destruction. The story is pretty cheesy, but is a decent backdrop for the rest of the game. You'll get audio files and cutscenes that illustrate the desperation and struggles before the oceans rose above the land, and during the early days of the Ark.

Sounds of the Ark
The Ark is fairly unique as it is a floating city in the ocean with a tall tower sitting in its center. As a result, you will hear many sounds that match the environment. The aquarium comes on with occasional music, while the generator room below is noisy with the bustle of turbines and technology. If you're near the water, you will hear seagulls fly off in the distance. The sound isn't John Williams amazing, but it's not just something to be ignored.

Overall Rating
I'd say this game deserves a solid 7. While the general game could do with some improvements for the sticker price they are charging for it, it's mutiplayer and single player offer a unique experience combining acrobatics, gunplay, objectives and classes that is well worth playing. However, it's deficiencies clearly affect it's score overall. The game is fun, no doubt, but it can get boring on single player, and the lack of depth in multiplayer can affect it severely for players looking for more experience. Still, there's something to be said about hopping onto a server with friends and start wrecking each other.

el jorge loco

Staff member
Also, if you'd like to see more pictures about this game from my perspective, please visit my steam account. Note, you'll have to be my friend ahaha.

IcEWoLF

Staff member
Founder
As always, another great review thank you for that!
The weapons are nice, looks like they spent a lot of time designing them.

el jorge loco

Staff member
I spent a lot of time customizing individual guns. Since they essentially offer two sniper rifles, I have one that uses rapid fire, and one that uses bigger magazine. Both are silenced with two different scopes. My rifles consist of spray and pray rifles with high ammunition or more tactical rifles with front grip. I love the sights, I have so many of them I can never pick which one I like best. I don't use pistols, but I do typically use SMGs as my secondary.

el jorge loco

Staff member
Again, even spending an hour mulling this, I forget one important topic: GRAPHICS!

The Graphics are generally stunning. This game is definitely not a port.

I seriously considered getting this at one point, but I heard that the bugs were pretty bad. Still might get it, but only when I have some money to burn. The customization looks interesting, though. I love games with great customization.

eNoN

All the new games LOOK so damn good but I always revert back to CSS, why???? I could spend hundreds on new games and it sits right next to my comp, unopen :(

el jorge loco

Staff member
Xhado - I've been telling a lot of folks who ask me about this game to get it on Steam when it goes on sale (Christmas?)

Enon- Yeah, CSS is just a better game overall. While these games are fun once in awhile, CSS never really tires out to be fair. I mean, I get a lot of play time out of other games, but when it comes to pure FPS, CSS wins hands down for me.