Books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PookeyBear, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PookeyBear

PookeyBear Contributor

Does anyone else read them?

Classic literature from the behemoths of antiquity; and inspiring work from modern revolutionaries. Whatchya got?

2. liljenn

liljenn Member

The only recent stuff I've read was for my Contemporary Lit class and I would recommend In Cold Blood, Zeitoun, and Slaughterhouse Five. Otherwise, I only read textbooks lol :(

3. Captain Cap

Captain Cap New Member

Did you like In Cold Blood? I think this is one of the few books I absolutely hated. I had to read Dust Tracks on a Road and hated ICB more.

Anyone here like medicine books? Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracey Kidder changed my life a LOT. Also, I liked The Knife Man by Wendy Moore and The Discreet Pleasures of Rejection.

4. el jorge loco

el jorge loco Staff Member Moderator

I will list out what I read these days:

Criminal Law Casebook 3rd Edition
    Evidence Casebook 11th Edition
    Problems in Evidence 2nd Edition
    Constitutional Law Casebook 11th Edition
    Intellectual Property Casebook 3rd Edition

Also the following:
    Federal Rules of Evidence 2011-2012

5. A-Rich

A-Rich The 47 Ronin

I just started dozing off while reading this thread. I'm gonna bookmark it for when I can't sleep.

6. liljenn

liljenn Member

I actually loved In Cold Blood! LOL :X
    I want to read some medicine books but I didn't know where to start, I think I might just start with your suggestions. You know, besides all the other shit I gotta read.

7. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, this list looks remarkably like what I use when my sleeping meds run out.

Steinbeck, you just can't go wrong with his style and stories. Ayn Rand, she had attitude and a point to make, spend the time it might enlighten you. Kurt Vonnegut, his stuff is not the easiest read or better yet, to fully comprehend where the drugs were leading him but some good stuff all the same. For serious classics even Thomas Hardy has some hard hitting and interesting twists on what many see as "conventions of a proper society". Ray Bradbury for his insightful look into what we will be facing moving forward in a electronic age. Hell I love Stephen King, Graham Masterton, Robin Cook and so damn many more of the fun and mindless set. Man, so many good reads out there...

Fasttrak

Edit: Hell! I forgot one of my all time favorites, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Hunter S Thomson

8. el jorge loco

el jorge loco Staff Member Moderator

Hahah Fasttrak. I read Fear and Loathing, then I watched the movie. Both were pretty trippy, the book was still better. Johnny Depp plays Hunter S. Thompson (Satan bless his immortally damned soul) very well.

The IP class is interested enough, cases are decent reads. Con Law and Evidence are as bad as they sound. Crim Law is awesome. Folks getting murdered, stabbed, raped, cannibalized on the high seas :)

9. Fasttrak

Fasttrak Staff Member Moderator

There is actually a much earlier version of the movie with... damn was it John Belushi or Dan Akroyd.. damned memory going out early on me. It was losely based on the book with some directorial license tossed in and was a shit-load better then Depps anemic attempt. I think it was called, "Where the Buffalo Roam". Will see if I can track it down, pretty funny shit.

Fasttrak