What's new

Best Gaming Laptop Under $1500?

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
So I am looking for a gaming laptop under $1500 like the title says. Main reason for a big upgrade is because of my school. I need to start running lots of Linux VM not one at a time but usually 2 at a time or more.

Things I need mainly for as a minimum requirement:
CPU: i7 4700+
GPU: GTX960M
Ram:8 GB+

Currently this is the one I have on my mind.
MSI GE Series GE72 Apache-078 Gaming Laptop 5th Gene Intel Core i7 5700HQ (2.70GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB GDDR5 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Went to xoticpc and saw couple upgrades for it mainly the IC Diamond thermal and the copper pipe cooling option. Other than this one I didn't really see one to my liking beside a Sager one.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
The GE72 looks pretty good. 6 pounds compared to the 8.5 the rest of the gaming laptops are. Might also look at the Asus ones for around the same price that come with the 965M

I have a review sample of it's big brother, the GT72 dominator and love it

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
The GE72 looks pretty good. 6 pounds compared to the 8.5 the rest of the gaming laptops are. Might also look at the Asus ones for around the same price that come with the 965M

I have a review sample of it's big brother, the GT72 dominator and love it
OH that was another laptop I was looking into but after adding the copper pipe and new thermal compound option it was little over $1500 :(
How was the keyboard setup? I know the GE72 is a Steelseries keyboard with those pretty rainbow LED options :p

kaM

The 47 Ronin
The laptops cooling is already pretty good, throwing on different thermal paste would be the better option. Pick up something like the GE72 and spend the few extra bucks on a good bag or a nice SSD

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
The laptops cooling is already pretty good, throwing on different thermal paste would be the better option. Pick up something like the GE72 and spend the few extra bucks on a good bag or a nice SSD
Hows the expansion like for the GT? Cause all the laptops I have owned so far it was a bitch to open it up let alone install anything like SSD or extra RAM :(

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Hows the expansion like for the GT? Cause all the laptops I have owned so far it was a bitch to open it up let alone install anything like SSD or extra RAM :(
Couple screws that remove the entire bottom panel with access to drive bays. Only problem is adding in extra ram, I had to lift the heatsink that covers the 2 extra dimms but that was a few minutes extra work. MSI is pretty good about making it easy to do

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Couple screws that remove the entire bottom panel with access to drive bays. Only problem is adding in extra ram, I had to lift the heatsink that covers the 2 extra dimms but that was a few minutes extra work. MSI is pretty good about making it easy to do
Oh thats good to hear :D Thanks again @kaM