What's new

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Fasttrak

Staff member
@Fasttrak

What is your current build?

It is a rehash of the liquid cooled Intel 6850 and dual 1080ti from a couple years ago I posted here with pictures.

This one is just adding an Asrock water cooled x570 motherboard and the 3900X with the same 32GB CL 16 3200mhz Corsair ram. Honestly, this thing is running solid, not a single hiccup so far and being on water it runs pretty cool, 27-34C. The water cooled portion is just 3 X 360mm radiators, Corsair 120mm non LED fans. The two Strix 1080ti in EK water blocks all of it stuffed into a Case Labs Mercury S8. The thing is a total pig weighing in at about 130 lbs when filled with water and operating. I just love how quiet the thing is when pushed, just a faint whirrr..

Fasttrak

Staff member
Hunter, what's the word on the next gen GPU's? One of my 1080's is acting up and not gonna dump money into another replacement. Thinking about getting another dual setup and curious what's on the horizon? You are always up to date and I have not bothered keeping track. Figure something has to be hitting some time in the near future.

@Hunter

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Hunter, what's the word on the next gen GPU's? One of my 1080's is acting up and not gonna dump money into another replacement. Thinking about getting another dual setup and curious what's on the horizon? You are always up to date and I have not bothered keeping track. Figure something has to be hitting some time in the near future.

@Hunter
I am like you bro. Right now, I don't bother racing with speed but more into robustness :).
As long as it doesn't affect my everyday's works, I am good. I am still moving along slowly with my Titan X Pascual...

v.Kamikaze

The 47 Ronin
Contributor
Wow, I haven't had an AMD build since 2005; then around 6 months later Core2Duo was released, lol. I wouldn't take the plunge until a year later. I used to upgrade quite often back then.

@Fasttrak do you notice much a difference between your intel and amd setup?

Fasttrak

Staff member
Wow, I haven't had an AMD build since 2005; then around 6 months later Core2Duo was released, lol. I wouldn't take the plunge until a year later. I used to upgrade quite often back then.

@Fasttrak do you notice much a difference between your intel and amd setup?

Absolutely nothing abnormal at all, was kind of worried about drivers, weird peculiarities that used to plague the older systems. Dead nut stable and uninteresting in that regard. The reality is that my previous 6850 on a top of the line x299 motherboard was far more funky, occasional crash to desktop in some games that are currently having no troubles with this X570 motherboard and 3900x. This system is far snappier just due to going to good quality gen 4 NVME, these suckers supercharge anything and having two 2TB as a bonded drive and things load really quickly. I went with Asrock which I have used for friends and family member builds but never one of my own systems and gotta say I am really pleased with it's handling of pushed memory timings and just plain stable nature. Really glad I went the AMD route and was honestly expecting to be underwhelmed when I tossed down the cash.