What's new

120/144 Hz Monitors

A Stable Carbocation

Staff member
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 4th gen i-5 and a R9 290x, so I want to really take advantage of the frames I can get.

Problem is, I know nothing about these new monitors. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I've seen

BenQ XL2411Z Black 24" 144HZ 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&Pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 DC 12,000,000:1 (1000:1) - Newegg.com
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor Height&pivot adjustable 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

and then this beast, with a beastly price tag

BenQ XL2730Z Black-Red 27” 1ms (GTG) WQHD Widescreen 2560x1440 LED Backlight TN Panel Adaptive-Sync (Free Sync), Auto Game Modes, Ergonomic Professional Gaming Monitor - Newegg.com

IN all honesty I prob wouldn't want to turn my settings down THAT much for that size of a panel tho :p

That's just a few.

Also, what about freesync? Anyone have any experience with it? I've read certain monitors have different frame ranges where it's effective.

Last edited:

Surrender

The Ronin Enforcer
The 47 Ronin
I personally use the 24" asus vg248qe with lightboost on and I can't live without it. I've also recommended it to friends after I've built them a comp.. about 4 of them in total and they all got em and love it.
Though I've heard the benqs are awesome too. up to you really. similar products, both good choices

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Going up to a 1440p screen is going to cut your frames by a good 20% or more. In games, you will most likely have to down-scale to 1080p (sometimes)

144hz is nice, you just have to make sure you get a constant 144fps+ for it to take advantage of it. At 144hz, you tend to see people quicker in games like CS, gives that little bit of an edge when someone peaks. I only use 1440p 144hz screens now.

A Stable Carbocation

Staff member
Yeah, it's why I'm thinking I'll stick to 1080p, I'm not going to buy another graphics card atm.

I've heard good things abpout the two listed above, as well as a 24 in LG model. So far though, looks like I might go with the BenQ. Supposedly it has a good program for blur that works for radeon cards, since lightboost is Nvidia only.

Surrender

The Ronin Enforcer
The 47 Ronin
:facepalm: you said you had a 290x and im here talking about lightboost lol. alright well then sounds good on the benq (y)

Ghonzo

The 47 Ronin
Might as well go with G-Sync. I know Gaspar and Fast are going with that route. But then again that would require you to switch over to Nvida gpu :(

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Might as well go with G-Sync. I know Gaspar and Fast are going with that route. But then again that would require you to switch over to Nvida gpu :(
Need a beefy nvidia card to handle gsync, 1440p and 144hz.

Space Cowboy

The 47 Ronin
There is a version of gsync for ati cards as well and the 290x does support it. More expensive that going with standard 144hz though. I was recently researching this as well. I am leaning towards that asus monitor myself. Asus has always done me right no matter the part.